Tuff Country Lift Kit Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wonder if they changed suppliers. I bought the 2" kit 4 yrs ago and they looked nothing like that when they arrived. But after a winter on the truck - not running and under a tarp, the leaf springs started to rust and peel, which I thought was BS - as did everything from ORD. When I stripped the whole truck down, I blasted all the ORD parts and had them replated. Plater said it was cheap steel but they look better than they did. The leaf springs I wound up blasting and a couple coats of POR-15. Even the finish I was painting over was terrible but they're under the truck and still ok.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had exactly the same experience with Tuff Country. This was March of 2023 so it would appear something has changed. The springs were absolute garbage. They were drop shipped from TC. I ordered a 6" and they sent 2" front and 6" rear, they were clearly not even close to the same spring rate, as there was about an inch difference in perpendicular measurement. I bought through Suspension Connection, and they were great to work with. Took everything back and refunded my money even when I told them I was going with another brand they didn't sell.

I have the ORD springs, and while they are clearly much better quality, cosmetically were all beat to crap...which I expected from shipping these days. I had them blasted and repainted with Imron.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Hey All,

I'm installing a 2" EZ ride on my 1981 Burb and have run up against a couple of questions...I purchased the kit almost 2 years ago and just got around to installing it...long story

So the instructions do talk about brake extension lines and brackets. There were no lines included in my kit so I called customer support and they told me they don't put them in the 2" kits because they are not needed...ok, maybe you you put different instructions in the 2" kit then?

Moving along, it says to pop out the front bushing and lube them...there was no lube in the kit?

Moving along again, it says that the rear spring bolt is not centered and longer section goes towards the back. I measured the springs and there MIGHT be 1/4" difference but I will have to do a more precise measurement in the am. I read somewhere else that a 56" is off center but the 52" is not? Once again if this is the case, you may want to notate that?

And my last question of the day is the rear brake extension bracket. I'm having a problem wrapping my head around how putting the bracket on is going to extend anything, unless I bend up the existing steel lines?

My problem at this point is, as the OP pointed out, is my truck is on jack stands in the driveway and customer service is closed until Monday...and given the additional posts maybe won't do me any good anyways?! The goal was to get it out of the driveway by the Sunday.

If anyone has any clarification on any of this it would be greatly appreciated!

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
If I recall correctly the 2" kit is " plug and play ". You are falling victim to the old 1 set of instructions in all their kits syndrome. Just consider yourself lucky your not missing the allen wrench from your Ikea box. lol
Eric

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
If I recall correctly the 2" kit is " plug and play ". You are falling victim to the old 1 set of instructions in all their kits syndrome. Just consider yourself lucky your not missing the allen wrench from your Ikea box. lol
Eric
Haha...yeah...I thought that might be the case...

Everything seemed to be going well....until I read the instructions, haha

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@scenic760 you don't need any brake line extension or relocation for a 2" lift. I am thinking @waterpirate is correct about the "One instruction manual for everything".

I also think that most of the instruction manuals for stuff like this are written more for shops that do this work often, not so much for first time, backyard project folks.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the help everyone!

2" kit on with 5100 Bilstein shocks...night and day difference. Probably had something to do with the truck sitting 5 years so the old springs were flllaaaattttt...

I had to go out and get some bigger rims/tires to fill up the wheel wells, haha. Lucky for me it's the same bolt pattern as Toyota so offerup and craigslist had a good assortment to choose from!

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Just finished my Tuff Country/Suspension Connection experience. Also not good. I ordered the 2" kit with Springs and blocks. They promptly charged my credit card and that was about all I heard from them. Called back 3 different times over the next 6-7 weeks and was told it would ship on a certain date. Once that date passed I called back and was told again a new ship date. The last time I called I was told there was not a "human" there for me to talk to. Was he not a human? Each time it just sounded like some guy in his basement taking orders and fulfilling from somewhere else. I finally canceled my order and am purchasing from a different manufacturer. Waste of 6-7 weeks of my time. I will not purchase anything from Suspension Connection or Tuff Country again. Caveat emptor.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@JimVG
Hope you don't mind me using the pics you posted of YOUR before/after. I also have a K20 that came with a new Rancho 2" lift on stock tires. I just bought some 17 x9 wheels and am looking at new tires in the 33" range. I wanted to visualize the before and after of the larger tires on a 2" lift. If I screwed any of this up let me know. I had to edit it twice before I was fully awake.

Attachments

• Jims K20_2inch lift_33inch tires.jpg
    Jims K20_2inch lift_33inch tires.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@JimVG
Hope you don't mind me using the pics you posted of YOUR before/after. I also have a K20 that came with a new Rancho 2" lift on stock tires. I just bought some 17 x9 wheels and am looking at new tires in the 33" range. I wanted to visualize the before and after of the larger tires on a 2" lift.
Friend, if it's posted on this forum it is Public Domain.

The pics are posted to help folks. If you are using them for that purpose, that makes me very happy.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Look what I found on this K20 a few days ago. Customer bought last year from BDS.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84