Trying to fix PO's wiring mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
I recently purchased my '86 K10 and noticed the blower was on whether the ignition was on or not.

I found where the PO had run power for the blower directly to the fuse panel in one of the empty slots. He used a 20 amp fuse which was all distorted and melted but still worked. See pic.

I see the slots for "HTR/AC 25 amp" and "AUX HTR A/C 25 amp" in the fuse panel.

Is there a way I can properly connect the power back to the blower?

Also, on a side note: In the "PWR/ACC" slot on the upper right, there is no fuse. Should there be? Thanks in advance.

picture.php

picture.php

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Also, on a side note: In the "PWR/ACC" slot on the upper right, there is no fuse. Should there be? Thanks in advance.

The slot labeled PWR ACC takes a 30 amp circuit breaker. It feeds the 3 jacks above it - in the column labeled PWR. The circuits supplied by this bank are:

1. Power door locks

2. Rear window defroster

3. Tail gate power window

So, if you don't have power locks (and assuming you have a pickup - not a Jimmy/Suburban style) there is no need to install a breaker/fuse in that slot.

Is there a way I can properly connect the power back to the blower?

Somewhere behind the opening for the HVAC control panel, there should be a single brown wire with a straight-through connector on the end of it. That is the normal power supply to the HVAC control panel.

The connector housing is female, square in the cross-sectional view and the color is gray (or maybe green - IDK. I'm color blind.). Below are some - very rare - images of an NOS wiring harness. The connectors should look like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Once you locate the feed from the fuse block, check that it sees 12VDC with the key in the RUN position. If it does have switched voltage, connect it to the short lead that feeds into the blower control switch. After that the blower should only operate with the ignition switch in RUN.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I see the slots for "HTR/AC 25 amp" and "AUX HTR A/C 25 amp" in the fuse panel.

BTW - if you have a pickup, there is nothing connected to the fuse labeled "AUX HTR A/C". That is for Suburbans equipped with rear HVAC blowers.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thanks Chengny, for the detailed response.

Sorry for the delay..I need to set up my notifications to alert me when reply's come in. I'll take a look and see if I can find what you described.

Shank

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thanks again Chengny...I fixed it today. Couldnt have done it without your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP