truck died driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
driving down the road and it shut off. now it will turn over and start for a few coconds then sputter and die. fuel pressure is there theres gas coming out of the center squirter. now i just cleaned the carb adjusted idle and mix screws then put some alcohol in gas tank to go do emissions wich ive done before and now it wont run... maybe ignition electronical problem idk

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
mine was dieing because of the torque converter killing it.
(manual to auto conversion)
but that was only at idle sometimes.

to just die completely while driving... gas or ignition/voltage issues.

sounds like gas, because its starting.
so it is probably not timing or ignition.

vacuum lines all ok? float bowls ok? fuel pump pumping?

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
ya has fuel squriting in carb i just noticed that i have no dash lights with the key turned on. the brake light comes on when going to start it. ignition maybe

Old barn auto

Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Try looking at rotor button if allot of carbon on it could have burnt a hole through it or something could be grounding out in the column. Let me know if this helps if not give me more info to help you figure it out.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
looked at rotor n cap looked fine its only 4 months old. has 12 volts at distribter with ign on 0 with it off . confused why not running diag is not my strong point

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd run fuel out of a can from the pump. If it works, you know the problem is rearward of the pump. If not, I'd double check the fuel you're getting at the carb. Quadrajet? Just disconnect the metal line and stick it in a 20 oz. Coke bottle. If it takes more than eight seconds to fill that up, you may need a new pump. Same with a Eddy or Holley. Just stick the rubber or flexible steel line in the same bottle. You're getting a nice stream of gas out of both primaries? When you actuated the throttle to look at the squirt, did you see if it was responsive to how much you moved it, just to verify your accelerator pump diaphragm isn't bad? If you do get it to run out of a can, you'll probably need to look at the switch valve for a clog or a cruddy strainer sock in the tank(s). It does this on both tanks, right? If nothing there, I'd consider the fuel pump or something in the carb. As mentioned above, if you're still getting a few seconds whenever you start it up, I doubt it's ignition. You could always have your ignition control module tested to be safe, and you could test the coil really quick if you wanted with a multimeter. I think you just need to do all these little tests to play around with it and narrow it down. You said you're getting 12V to the distributor, but are you getting the strong five figure voltage you need at the plugs? You could use the optical part of a timing light to see if you get flashes on all eight wires if you have one just to make sure. I'd also run through the important electrical stuff. Battery posts tight on battery, visible grounds near battery okay, ground on back of cylinder head tight and intact.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Will if run on carb cleaner? Or a splash of gas down carb, will it run?

My first thought is fuel pump.
You say fuel pressure is there, but have no proof.

Next step is to disconnect fuel inlet and dump it into a bucket in an attempt to verify output VOLUME of the pump. Use starter.
Best to unplug distributor power.

SAFETY FIRST cannot be overstated.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
ill try these tomorrow and see what happens. my fuel pressure gauge says 6.5 psi under the hood but ill try a different fuel source. ill get the meter out and test everything i can.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
ill try these tomorrow and see what happens. my fuel pressure gauge says 6.5 psi under the hood but ill try a different fuel source. ill get the meter out and test everything i can.

I think that's pretty good, actually. I agree that it's a good idea to test an alternate location just for repeatability, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was fruitless because you've got ample fuel pressure. Just trying to be practical and expedient, not negative. I would definitely consider carb metering, and I definitely agree that spraying a combustible aerosol like starting fluid and seeing if you get better results would, in conjunction with good fuel pressure and a newly cleaned carburetor, point a great deal at the carburetor's fuel metering capability. There's a good video on YouTube of how to test an HEI ignition coil with a multimeter that I've used. I found that my original one had these dead spots in it, and I tested an old factory coil that I had laying around that did the same thing except worse, and then I went to the parts store and tested a new one. It did no such thing. It's only a small piece that makes contact with the conductive surface on the coil so I went ahead and replaced it just to be safe. The parts stores will test the ignition control module for you, also, if you want. The spontaneity of your issue makes me secondarily suspect it simply because that's how ICM problems usually are. The reason I don't primarily suspect it is because you can start the truck and run it for a moment, where ICM failures usually disallow any successful starting after failure or wait until the motor gets warm and fail until it cools back down again. Ignition Control Module problems can do weird things sometimes, and it's best to keep an open mind so I don't confine the potential diagnosis to the textbook on that one. Oh, and I'm sure you have a lot better clearance to look at fuel spray than I did in my B body, but I got my phone and turned on video with the flashlight and watched the fuel spray on the phone instead of trying to cram my face down in there. I even recorded it so I could watch it later if I had second thoughts. Make sure all your vacuum lines are together and not broken, disconnected, or unplugged. I'd actually check up on the EGR if you still have it. EGR problems can really hinder or even stop a car from working. If it's the old, open factory style with an accessible plunger, you can depress the plunger, cap your finger over the nipple, and see if it stays up. If it stays up and only comes down when you remove your finger, the EGR's fine. If it comes back down, you have a nice vacuum leak right there. If it's a newer, sealed type EGR valve, you can unplug the vacuum and plug up both sides and see if it starts and runs better or at all. I've had a bad EGR valve happen twice to me. On TBI, it made the truck run horribly and die very soon after. On the E4ME Quadrajet, it was leaking vacuum around the plunger and just made for a shittier run. Other vacuum leak sources are the innumerable factory smog provisions (if you still have them), especially those closest to heat sources, plugs and caps, especially the homemade variety,
to disable factory smog provisions (if you have that instead), primary throttle shaft area on Q-Jet (the throttle shaft will rock around instead of staying still when you try to move it around), carburetor base gasket, and worst case scenario, the front and rear lip area of the lifter valley on the intake manifold gasket. Brakleen, WD40, or starting fluid sprayed in all those places can test for vacuum leaks, with an increase in idle speed being indicative of one. That's an auditory test. A visual test would be to get a smoke machine, if you have access to one ($$$) or a cheap cigar to blow through the vacuum lines where they plug into the carb and watch where the smoke wofts up from. I doubt a massive, spontaneous vacuum leak is your problem, but they sure don't help. Just a few vacuum leaks could subtract three to five inches of Mercury of vacuum at idle, and I had about eight or nine vacuum leaks on my Caprice when I first got it so go figure how it ran until I hunted them down and fixed them. Inspect your ground ends, ground sites, and your ground wires. Very important and often overlooked, I'd say. I don't think your instrument light problem is related to the issue. You clearly have enough voltage to spin the starter enough to start the truck, even if it's for a second. Sorry for the long windedness. I'm just trying to blitz anything I can think of so you can get it going back ASAP.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
got it fired up with new fuel i think the alcohol absobed some condensation in the tank brought it up to the carb. wierd problem iv done it every year ive had it never s problem

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
got it fired up with new fuel i think the alcohol absobed some condensation in the tank brought it up to the carb. wierd problem iv done it every year ive had it never s problem

I'd try Heet in lieu of the straight alcohol. It'll bind to the water and allow it to be burned should there be any, and it's an isopropyl alcohol based substance, I believe. Should kill two birds with one stone and avoid any future problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade