Truck died under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ifyasquintitsmint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck died while driving yesterday to pick up some furniture. Died on a non bumpy road going like 40. Pulled over and popped the hood. On a whim I jumped the terminals on the firewall, because i know they get constant 12V and that worked prior when my alt crapped the bed, it started back up and drove the rest of the 60mins without issue.

Drove it there and back home no issues, alt read fine, no weird noises etc.

I had to swap in a new alt and the new alt has been consistently charging at 14.9-15.3V running. My prior alt hit 17V driving a few weeks ago, the truck died when I pulled over and I had to jump the terminals on the firewall.

My prior electrical work on this truck has been to replace the fusible links on the truck, put new cables on the battery, I installed a few electrical components (power locks etc), and a new ignition switch on a prior no start.

The truck hasn’t done it since, but I’m kind of worried driving on the highway and having the power brakes go out.

I was thinking since it just died (still had headlights) it’s likely electrical somewhere between the firewall and battery. Going to double check the connections and verify they are tight. The grounds have all been cleaned recently.

Trucks going under the knife for some suspension work so if I can hit this at the same time it’ll be great

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
Make sure you didn't miss any ground wires. Also, start engine and jiggle all electrical wires, with a long insulated screwdriver, including both coil wire ends. One car I had did same as your truck. I jiggled all ground wires with no results. After my car spent a week at the best shop in town their dealer friends wanted a shot at it and flunked, too. In frustration I jiggled the wires again lwhen I got it back and whamo!, it was a loose ground wire but it took more than just a single jiggle to repeat the engine cut-out.

When I replaced my distributor years ago on my '85, it seems like I remember a small gauge ground wire somewhere. If there is, it might get overlooked.

Be sure to let us know when you figure it out. Were dyin to know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara