Transmission Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSwole985

Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm looking to go from an automatic transmission to a manual in my c10 and was wondering what transmission to get and can I still run my bench seat

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Are you planning/willing to replace the trans tunnel for clearance? The factory manual squares ran a trans tunnel like the 4x4s for extra room. I think most of your trans options can be made to work with a bench seat, but not so many will fit under that low hump floor in your truck. An 833 4 speed overdrive is a fairly small package that may fit without modification to the floor, but those are getting pretty rare. My next thought would be a NV3550, but those are a little larger, and i'm not sure they would fit under the trans tunnel you currently have. On the plus side, they're not too hard to find, since they were what GM ran in the 5 speed manual trucks after ours for a lot of years. Not very expensive either. Options beyond those get bigger and pricier.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree. I wouldn't consider anything else if it were me. People tend to like the gearing better on the New Venture gearbox compared to the 833.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Not sure of you need a taller tunnel. I thought that is only on 4x4 with transfer case and linkage clearance.
You also have to find the clutch setup, which can be a bitch. Older trucks are manual and some (after 80's?) may have had hydro clutch. It's been a bunch of years since I've thought about it so can't remember. My current trucks are autos... I know I know...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Not sure of you need a taller tunnel. I thought that is only on 4x4 with transfer case and linkage clearance.
You also have to find the clutch setup, which can be a bitch. Older trucks are manual and some (after 80's?) may have had hydro clutch. It's been a bunch of years since I've thought about it so can't remember. My current trucks are autos... I know I know...

The manual trans equipped trucks all had the taller 4x4 tunnel from the factory. This was to clear the sm465. The squares went to a hydro clutch in '85.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think the standard 3 speed trans (non-granny) got the little floor hump. I doubt that's the goal though?

I'd bet an NV3500 would fit under the little hump, it was used in S10's after all.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The trans was the factory manual behind most of the light duty 5 speed trucks from '88 to '98. I would think it would be fine behind a stock - mild sbc. It was designed to be a 1/2 ton truck trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast