Transmission Fluid is pink and milky :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
might as well just put air brakes on it like a fighter jet air brake lol

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Lol

Sent from the dust in front of you!

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If I needed a new radiator. Wouldnt the truck be overheating? I think the radiator is fine??

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
First off do it your self cause otherwise that means your gonna drive to a shop unless you have it towed.

Second there is no brake activated pump in these transmissions!

Its actually quite easy to do flush at home a helper is of great help though.

From what I can find the lower cooler line from the transmission is your Pressurized line going out from the tranny to the cooler.

So remove the top line from the radiator which is the return line to the tranny(make sure the line you remove from the rad is the top line at the transmission). attach a piece of hose onto a spare short piece of line or the appropriate fitting to install in your rad where the return to tranny line goes, and run it into a bucket(preferably white) Remove the transmission pan, install new filter, clean and reinstall the pan with new gasket and torque the transmission bolts to 13ft lbs. refill tranny with 4 qts of fluid.

Get a funnel that will fit nicely into your transmission fill tube and secure it so that it will stay with out having to hold it. I used electrical tape and wrapped it around both so it wouldn't move.

Now with the vehicle in neutral and the wheels chocked. Have another 6 qts of transmission fluid ready, its a lot easier to use 1 qt bottles.

In neutral have your assistant start the vehicle, and watch the bucket to see the transmission fluid coming out of the return line into the bucket. As the fluid is pumped into the bucket simply add the same amount into the fill tube with your 1 qt bottles. Continue to do this until the fluid coming out of the return line is clean red. Then have your helper shut off the vehicle.

Simply reinstall the cooler line and ensure that the transmission is at the correct fluid level in park while idling.

So you have filled the transmission with new fluid and filter this will be sucked up and pushed through the transmission and through the pressure line to the rad and will be pushed through the rad and out through your rigged up line into a bucket. there by pushing new fluid through pretty much the entire system of your transmission.

This is exactly what you will receive at the speedy lube shop. but a whole lot cheaper.

The trick is to keep adding fluid as the transmission is sucking it out of the pan so that it does not run dry as you are exiting the return line into a bucket instead of allowing it to return to the transmission like it normally would.

It is how ever pointless to do this until changing out your rad if your radiator is the source of the problem.

Thanks do you have a picture of where to put the new fluid?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If I needed a new radiator. Wouldnt the truck be overheating? I think the radiator is fine??

Not necessarily. Has the amount of antifreeze in the coolant bottle gone down any?

It could just be leaking from the rad into the transmission cooler area.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks do you have a picture of where to put the new fluid?

Into the transmission fill tube. The tube that the dipstick for the transmission is in, Remove the dipstick and poor transmission fluid into the tube. This is the only way to add fluid to the transmission.

It will be on passenger side close to firewall

You must be registered for see images attach

It is the gold tube in the pic

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think this might help. When we are talking lower and upper lines this is what we are referring to.

They are 2 metal lines that come out of the passenger side of the transmission above the pan and run forward beside the engine oil pan and then up and into the passenger side of the radiator. Most folks install another separate cooler inline just like in the picture. You may or may not have this extra cooler.

Any ways when under the transmission and looking up at where the cooler lines enter the transmission. The upper one is the cooled fluid returning to the transmission and the lower one is the hot fluid being pumped out to the cooler.

Also notice that the hot lower line is now the upper line at the rad. well its not really it is actually the stock cooled return line being routed to the extra cooler in front of the rad. This is why it is important to follow the lines up to rad and ensure that the one you remove from the rad is indeed the cooled return line

Last edited:

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Not necessarily. Has the amount of antifreeze in the coolant bottle gone down any?

It could just be leaking from the rad into the transmission cooler area.

Nope it hasnt gone down. And I flushed and drained the rad coolant and it looks perfect. Just the way I left it.

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think this might help. When we are talking lower and upper lines this is what we are referring to.

They are 2 metal lines that come out of the passenger side of the transmission above the pan and run forward beside the engine oil pan and then up and into the passenger side of the radiator. Most folks install another separate cooler inline just like in the picture. You may or may not have this extra cooler.

Any ways when under the transmission and looking up at where the cooler lines enter the transmission. The upper one is the cooled fluid returning to the transmission and the lower one is the hot fluid being pumped out to the cooler.

Also notice that the hot lower line is now the upper line at the rad. well its not really it is actually the stock cooled return line being routed to the extra cooler in front of the rad. This is why it is important to follow the lines up to rad and ensure that the one you remove from the rad is indeed the cooled return line

So you lost me on the extra cooler. I dont have the extra cooler so the return line goes into the radiator. So if it is stock. Is it the top one or bottom one?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
OK well I guess youll find out soon enough if it is the rad.

Well I have seen funny things over the years so I don't want to tell you its this one or that and end up being wrong because somebody rednecked it.

It should be the top one at the radiator as well. But! make sure it is by getting down underneath and following the lines up to the front to ensure that the top one at the transmission is the one that you unhook at the rad.

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
OK well I guess youll find out soon enough if it is the rad.

Well I have seen funny things over the years so I don't want to tell you its this one or that and end up being wrong because somebody rednecked it.

It should be the top one at the radiator as well. But! make sure it is by getting down underneath and following the lines up to the front to ensure that the top one at the transmission is the one that you unhook at the rad.
Yeah you're right! I'll double check underneath like you said! Thanks!
I just need to find the drain plug then im all set :D

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Nope no drain plug! Sorry. The trick is to leave a couple bolts tight towards the engine after all the other bolts are removed then slowly undo the ones you left and let it drain into your oil catch pan, slowly undoing them a little more at a time. then push the pan back up tight with one hand and remove all of the remaining bolts with the other then with both hands slowly and carefully lower the pan down and pour into your oil catch pan.

Be careful because you would be hard pressed to find a member on here that hasn't at one time or another ended up dumping that pan full of transmission fluid all over them selves LOL

If you can spare $50-$100 it would be worth buying a pan that has a drain bung

http://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...nsmission-pans?N=4294923829+400004+4294949298

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a similar problem recently. My transmission cooler inside the radiator began leaking trans fluid into the cooling system. It let go all at once (in one day) and I lost enough fluid that the trans started slipping. It was less than a year since an expensive rebuild on the trans also. I pulled to trans dipstick and don't see any water/anti-freeze but the fluid has a burnt smell.
Worst part was that I had a new radiator in my shop waiting to be installed.

Attachments

• 20141113_131946_resized.jpg
    20141113_131946_resized.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 122

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model