Turbo 350 and fluid question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Working on my 76 GMC Sprint, not exactly a square but a little cousin.
Daughter has had the car for several years, got her a rebuilt trans a few years ago, she had it put in. Just over a year ago it went to giving her issues. How her life was falling apart she bought herself a new car. Year ago ish I go to Witchata and load the old car up and bring it home, sat there till the other day when because of pending hail I get it started and put it under a shed.
That is when I find it is low, not on the dip stick low, of transmission fluid. Put 3 quarts in it today and the drives off perfectly. Have to pay very close attention to feel it shift, goes into gear as one should.
So my question, is the trans screwed because of being driven low on fluid? Or could it be ok?

I know nothing about automatic transmissions except I don't like them, and every one I've ever had was always broke. Big reason I don't like them.

Thanks Guys!!

Shakey

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Drive it some more, say 100 miles then drain it, see if there is any metallic shininess to the fluid, if there's not, you're good to go.
Why was it low 3 qts in the first place, a leak?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Drive it some more, say 100 miles then drain it, see if there is any metallic shininess to the fluid, if there's not, you're good to go.
Why was it low 3 qts in the first place, a leak?

Will do. Far as being low, I have no idea. Not a puddle under it now, where it was sitting when i picked it up, nor where it has sat since I got it back. So?? Dunno at this point.