Tranny problems with a 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fredflinstone

Reaction score
First Name
fred
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was driving the truck and she started jumping hard in to second gear from first. She got drove for a half hour to get her home. This was all highway driving, so she didn't shift down to first untill I got home. Now the truck will not shift out of first gear when engaged in o.d., d, 2 or 1. She does go into reverse, neutral and park. Just did a transmission oil change along with filter. Problem still there. Oil condition was a darkish brown. any thoughts on this out there

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was driving the truck and she started jumping hard in to second gear from first. She got drove for a half hour to get her home. This was all highway driving, so she didn't shift down to first untill I got home. Now the truck will not shift out of first gear when engaged in o.d., d, 2 or 1. She does go into reverse, neutral and park. Just did a transmission oil change along with filter. Problem still there. Oil condition was a darkish brown. any thoughts on this out there

Any kind of metal shavings in the pan? Chances are you wasted funds on the fluid and filter, but maybe not. How about any kind of noises at all in Reverse? You will lose 2nd and 4th with a broken sunshell, but reverse usually eventually goes too is why I ask.

fredflinstone

Reaction score
First Name
fred
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There was no shavings to be found anywhere in the oil or in the bottom of the trans pan. There is no current sounds coming out of the truck when going into any of the above stated gears. There was bangs when she shifted into second as stated above.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmmm, then I might suspect the 2-4 band, or the 2nd gear servo. Does this truck have a Vette Servo installed in it yet? I'd only be making the suggestion as a shot in the dark without doing some research, but I also suggest it because if you do indeed end up needing a rebuild, the Vette Servo will transfer to the new rebuild and you haven't wasted anything. You'll want the Vette Servo anyway on a rebuild.

fredflinstone

Reaction score
First Name
fred
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks for the help. I have put two and two together and am having the transmission rebuilt. No quick fix for this one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Other than the Vetter Servo as being something easy and quick, you're right I'm thinking not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus