Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's neat Scotty. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No hooks. Nylon loops and wheel straps. Of course, no tip. :p

I rarely get tips. When I did AAA tows, I got more tips than ever. AAA customers, seems about 20% of them will tip. Anything else, you're lucky as hell to get a tip.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
we get quite a few tips here. drivers get 30-40 bucks a week average. It's always the customers you never expect it from that seem to tip tho. I ended up buying myself the 2000 F550 crew cab rollback I was looking at. sure a nice riding truck, but getting it in and out of dealer lots is quite interesting. We started a new guy last week here training him. turned him loose over the weekend in the old 81 K30. Poor guy has run about 10-12 calls a day so far. He's still in his mid 20's and new to the towing thing. Was shocked we called him at 6:30 other morning and he had done been up and checked truck over and had it warmed up waiting on his first call. His last call was at midnight night before. I remember those days of being ready at any time for whatever call came in. Now 23 years later I hate to answer the phone lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Look at this purdy sumbish. It's one of the guys on the Wrecker page out of FL.

Attachments

• SquareRollBack.jpg
    SquareRollBack.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 95

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Ooops... I'm supposed to tip the tow truck driver when I call AAA?

Sorry guys, totally didn't know that. Next time I'll throw 'em a 20 for dealing with my weird ****.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ooops... I'm supposed to tip the tow truck driver when I call AAA?

Sorry guys, totally didn't know that. Next time I'll throw 'em a 20 for dealing with my weird ****.

No, you're not "supposed to". It's not like a waiter or pizza delivery guy type thing where it's expected. Drivers certainly appreciate it though. But some people do tip. And it don't have to be a $20. Drivers even appreciate $5 for a cheap lunch, or $10 for a good lunch, but most tips are $10-$20 if and when you get them. Some guys have even gotten $100 bill tips for taking extra care of guys Viper or Vette etc. If you want to tip, it should be just like as it were a waiter/waitress. Pay based on the type of service you got. Was the driver on time or early? Did he take extra steps to ensure your vehicle was taken care of properly, took special precautions if needed, like if it was a low vehicle and he didn't drag the bumpers or tailpipes. You know what I mean, you can tell if the driver has a good attitude, gives a **** about your car and takes pride in his job. Then, were you way out there? Like rural area or quite a ways to get to. Was he out in the rain, snow or extreme cold, did he had get into water and get wet etc. Then you can add a bit more if he had to deal with any of those conditions.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
No, you're not "supposed to". It's not like a waiter or pizza delivery guy type thing where it's expected. Drivers certainly appreciate it though. But some people do tip. And it don't have to be a $20. Drivers even appreciate $5 for a cheap lunch, or $10 for a good lunch, but most tips are $10-$20 if and when you get them. Some guys have even gotten $100 bill tips for taking extra care of guys Viper or Vette etc. If you want to tip, it should be just like as it were a waiter/waitress. Pay based on the type of service you got. Was the driver on time or early? Did he take extra steps to ensure your vehicle was taken care of properly, took special precautions if needed, like if it was a low vehicle and he didn't drag the bumpers or tailpipes. You know what I mean, you can tell if the driver has a good attitude, gives a **** about your car and takes pride in his job. Then, were you way out there? Like rural area or quite a ways to get to. Was he out in the rain, snow or extreme cold, did he had get into water and get wet etc. Then you can add a bit more if he had to deal with any of those conditions.

This is good to know. I never thought about tipping a tow truck driver. But when you think about it, they are providing a valuable service. So I will be tipping when I need their service.

Now I am the kind of guy that says where do you want this strap? Is there anything I can do to help you get done quicker? How can I help? I have always been this way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Actully a good driver will politely thank you for the offer to help just ask you to step back a few feet and do it hisself. Normally, those people who help or try to help, actually slow me down, mess up my 1, 2, 3, 4 step rythem count that is automatic in my head that I do without thinking and how I'm likely to miss a step, forget something and fugg up. Not to mention, I'm likely to check what someone else did anyway, which takes just as long as doing it myself. It takes me longer to walk around to the other side of the truck than to do anything.

That's why I try to do everything at the front of the vehicle, and the rear of the vehicle so I don't have to keep running from one side to the other side, then I hook my secondary safety chains on the driver side of the truck so they're on the same side of the truck that I'm operating from. (Technically, you're supposed to safety chain both sides) The only exception to that driver side rule when I'm operating, is if I'm on the right shoulder of a freeway. Then I try to do all operations from the passenger side keeping my truck between me and traffic. Of course that only works about half the time since there usually isn't enough shoulder and you end up parked hugging the right side and there isn't enough room for you between the gaurdrail and the truck.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I agree with HR about tipping. It isn't expected but it is appreciated. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to who tips and for what. I've had a $20 tip to pick up a POS that ultimately went to the crusher and I've hauled a fully restored 29 Model A for no tip. Go figure.

As for helping, Many will offer to help and the thought is appreciated. Most of do have our own rhythem and routine though and it can really muck up a routine to have someone 'try' to help. I went to pick up a full sized van this week that I had to grab from behind with my rollback. I had just backed up to it and hadn't even opened my door yet when I seen the owner run to the back of the van and start holding it. He decided to 'help' me by putting it in neutral. I held it and told him to put it in park and I would deal with it. Dingbat could have rolled his van right into my truck and it would have been considered my fault.

Most people don't know what to expect or how to act around a tow truck. I had a customer tell me: "You're kinda like an OB/GYN.". You might say that got my attention. He continued: "This may be my first time doing this but it certainly isn't yours.". I've used that line many times with people that almost panic because they think they have to do SOMETHING.

I've managed to almost eliminate that problem from roadside calls though. First thing I'll do is walk them around and put em in my truck. Safety first! From there they can't do anything to 'help' and with it being a rollback, they can't see most of what is happening! Some argue about being put in the truck until I explain that as soon as I arrive on scene I am responsible for EVERYTHING, including their safety. Works almost everytime.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You bring up good points there. I've had a customer before about kill me before, and I was in dire pain and hardly able to walk for 3 days, and stayed in pain for about a month before I could heal up. It wouldn't have taken that long had I been able to take a few days off and heal up. But I took the blame myself. The manuever I was doing is quite dangerous, and even more so on a slope, and only something I suggest for the very experienced. As dangerous as it was, I should have checked myself FIRST. As rare as it is, it could have been a vehicle that Park didn't work.

It was a car with a broken ball joint and the left front tire was semi folded under the car. To not cause any secondary damage, I put MY truck in N, released the Air Brake, and was getting ready to suck my truck under the car from behind, rather than drag the car on the pavement, grinding the parts on the pavement and tearing up the pavement. I'm one of those that take pride in not leaving a single mark on the ground. I don't like tearing up driveways and parking lots. As the rear wheels hit my deck, my truck and this car took off rolling down the hill. I had to run for the cab and hit the Air Brake button. My foot slipped off the step, jammed my knee and bent it backwards, almost got my foot ran over the by the driver front wheel that was rolling backwards. The dude had put it in N for me and I didn't know it. It rolled about 8 feet and was gaining speed before I got it shut down. Lesson Learned and thankful it was uneventful with no damage and noone else injured.

Yep, you're right about some disagreeing to put passengers in your truck without you. I consider everything. I don't like to do it at all, but in very dangerous situations, you can bet, yes I have. Had an old lady once scared shitless to get out of her car in the center median shoulder. There was NO room. She wanted me to load her car with her in it and let her out when I got it to the right shoulder or off ramp. Uhh No Ma'am, can't do that. And people who are freezing cold when they've been sitting for awhile with no heat do to a broke down car, and some biggin's that have sat out in the heat with no AC and they're gasping for every breath. So it's a case by case basis. If they've got room to step back to a safe place, I SUGGEST for them to stand over there. A few don't listen, so the 2nd time is more of TELLING them, I need for you to step over there please, if this cable snaps, you'll be losing your head or cut in 2. They tend to listen then. I just prefer not have people in my cab without me, since I keep things in my cab that I don't want stolen and at least one of those items I plead the 5th.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
It isn't my go to position to put someone in the cab alone. It is one I use in dangerous situations. I've had customers not listen and try following me around on the side of the freeway. They don't care where they walk and cross into traffic without looking or any awareness of the scene. If there is a problem with a lack of safe space on the side of the road, I don't hesitate to stick them in the truck. If they seem like the type that will not follow directions outside, I'll stick them in the truck. Older ladies or those who are challenged by the English language? Yep, in the truck. Guys I've found I have to read on the spot because it is harder to get them out of harms way once they decide they know what they are doing. I've had many people watch from off to the side where it is safe. I have no problem with that. Fortunately, most of my calls are not in high risk areas. You do have to read people and I am lucky that I don't have an excess of people that cause me to worry about my personal property or safety.

As far as items that one would plead the 5th about, I tend not to leave those out of my reach when I am not at home. However, that does present a scalable issue I haven't been able to resolve yet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right. You have to read them and that doesn't mean you'll always read them right either, but yep, safety first. I'm just saying, I don't like it and prefer not to but have several times. I'd just prefer them get in the truck when I do.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
It's Wednesday and it feels like it should be Friday. Monday I got called at 5 am for a Harley that needed a ride about 100 miles down the road. Normally I start at 8 so I wouldn't be getting that call but the night guy didn't want to go that far on his "friday night" so I pulled my clothes on to head out there. Once I got there he told me that since the Harley shops don't open on Monday he'd like to go home instead. I told him that was fine as long as he was willing to pay. 185 miles later I got him home. Having to go through Seattle twice, that turned into 9.5 hours for just the one call.

Yesterday I started my day on time and headed out to cover a couple private calls. While I was doing that I got a call asking if I wanted to tow a Motorhome. Boss had a meeting he needed to be around for and the other guy needed to be close to home. Motorhome had to go out to the coast. 240 miles one way. Towing a motorhome through Seattle during rush hour was not my idea of fun. Round trip in an old Medium duty wrecker was 11 hours and felt like 3 days.

With 2 tows I did 900 miles in the last 2 days. If I'm gonna keep going like that I may as well go back to OTR work. YEEESH!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Them would have been some money making tows if you weren't Salary/Hourly paid. I'da been all over those at 35%, even 30%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man