Tire size for 12 inch lift on 1985 suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
*Moderator's note: this thread was merged with another, some posts may seem a little repetitive*

I wanted to know what's the biggest tire size that I can get while having 1/2 ton axles? I wanted to eventually get a 12 inch lift on my suburban and I was hoping to get a tire size between 40-44. I'm not sure if the axles would be able to handle tires that big, so if that's too big and I have to down size, what would be the biggest size I can get? Also if it makes any difference, I don't plan on taking the truck off road at all, I just like the look. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
What's the biggest tire size that would fit on a 85 suburban with a 12 inch lift? I don't want to cut the fenders and I know there's other things that I would have to take into consideration like the width and wheel offset etc. Any help is appreciated thanks.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hard to say without knowing the wheel info but I'd guess 40's would be safe for the body. 44's would hit without a body lift and even then they might still rub with wide wheels.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
40's with a 12" lift and 1/2 ton axles is just asking to have a bad time. You can get a 14BFF axle around here with 4.10's for about $150. I'd start with that before I thought about going over about a 36" or 37" tire. You can convert the stock front axle to a 3/4 ton by just changing the outer hub and brake parts. The entire upgrade to 3/4 ton running gear would probably be cheaper than blowing up the stock 10 bolt gears just once.

The non-functional Bro-dozer mall crawler thing isn't really my jam, so I don't know that I can give any further advice than that. I've seen 37's clear easily under full deflection on a 12" lift, 40's would probably be pushing it depending on width.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
My truck is the "little" stock height 3/4 ton in the photos.
The green Sub is on an 8" lift and 37's.
The monster rolling through is on a 12 inch lift and was built for 44's, but in the photo it is rolling on 42's.
The black truck is on a 6 or 8 inch lift riding on 36's.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you look through old 4x4 magazines from the 80's and 90's, big lift trucks with 44's and half ton axles were fairly common to see. I'm sure they tore up axles and hubs just like the ones that ran around in my neck of the woods.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
It can be done, seen it many times. But at that point it'd more of a show piece than an actual truck. Put a lifted 1/2 ton on 44s and drive it around all normal and you'll be alright. But if you beat that thing in the mud she's gonna break and get you stranded really fast. Hell, put a set of 36s on a 1/2 ton with a 4spd and try to do more than one or two burnouts and you'll blow your rear faster than the input shaft bearings go out in a souped up Honda Civic lol

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The monster rolling through is on a 12 inch lift and was built for 44's, but in the photo it is rolling on 42's.

That big truck also has a body lift so that’s more than 12”.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
40's with a 12" lift and 1/2 ton axles is just asking to have a bad time. You can get a 14BFF axle around here with 4.10's for about $150. I'd start with that before I thought about going over about a 36" or 37" tire. You can convert the stock front axle to a 3/4 ton by just changing the outer hub and brake parts. The entire upgrade to 3/4 ton running gear would probably be cheaper than blowing up the stock 10 bolt gears just once.

The non-functional Bro-dozer mall crawler thing isn't really my jam, so I don't know that I can give any further advice than that. I've seen 37's clear easily under full deflection on a 12" lift, 40's would probably be pushing it depending on width.

I once witnessed someone I knew personally run 53's (military 53s at 330 pounds each), on a 8 lugger front (10b), and a 14b ff rear end.... he did it for months until he got tired of ripping his sterring box off the frame, and after wrecking the big piece of **** into a Toyota and demolishing it....

I inspected his axles after the tear down, the 14 bolt remained unchanged.

The 10 bolt had destroyed ball joints, and nothing more LOL LOL

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
It can be done, seen it many times. But at that point it'd more of a show piece than an actual truck. Put a lifted 1/2 ton on 44s and drive it around all normal and you'll be alright. But if you beat that thing in the mud she's gonna break and get you stranded really fast. Hell, put a set of 36s on a 1/2 ton with a 4spd and try to do more than one or two burnouts and you'll blow your rear faster than the input shaft bearings go out in a souped up Honda Civic lol
Thanks for the help. I wish I would've known all this before buying my truck. Let's say I get the 12 inch lift and some tires in the 40in range while still on the 1/2 ton axles, how would that hold up if I were to play bumper cars? Serious question I know it sounds ridiculous but would the axles hold up in a situation where I ram another vehicle or vice versa?

short

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the help. Can you help me out trying to guess the lift and tire size on this suburban? The guy who owned it told me it was a 12 in lift on 40s, but i don't think that's accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211122-204931~2.png
    Screenshot_20211122-204931~2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 420
  • 98323371_934124087011969_4199535828512276480_n.jpg
    98323371_934124087011969_4199535828512276480_n.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 127

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks for the help. I wish I would've known all this before buying my truck. Let's say I get the 12 inch lift and some tires in the 40in range while still on the 1/2 ton axles, how would that hold up if I were to play bumper cars? Serious question I know it sounds ridiculous but would the axles hold up in a situation where I ram another vehicle or vice versa?
Are you planning revenge for the Christmas Parade massacre?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would htink you are running the risk of over powering your vehicle which is on stilts by whatever means you lifted it than your axles because your forward energy being halted is more or less saying spring hangers, Thanks for wild ride.

Your 1/2 ton truck already having leverage on the mounting spots because of that increased leangth and those u joints at extremer angles probably arent going to hold up well when the engine and tcase are content where they are . Plus your tires might get a scratch, so you really sure about this?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks for the help. Can you help me out trying to guess the lift and tire size on this suburban? The guy who owned it told me it was a 12 in lift on 40s, but i don't think that's accurate.

Looks like 40's, but doesn't look like 12 inch lift. Really hard to tell, but you can kinda see the arch on the RF spring. My guess is 8". It also looks like the fenders are cut.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have no idea what you're planning to do with this truck and I probably shouldn't know for my own best interest so please don't get specific if it's something crazy lol, but I can understand the need for that type of **** sometimes seems necessary, can't say I've never built a truck with apocalypse in mind. Hell, a 4x4 square Suburban on 40s fits that bill pretty well.

I'd say impacts to the body/frame shouldn't do a ton of damage to your axles themselves. If they're REALLY hard hits and the truck is lifted super high there's a chance you could rip your axles out from under you, but that would happen with a 3/4 or 1 ton as well. Definitely don't use blocks, make sure they're beefy springs. As far as blowing up gears and axle shafts, as long as you're not dumping the clutch to build speed while attempting to "bump" stuff or smoking the tires with your foot to the floor once you've made contact and came to a stop, I don't imagine the axles will be too stressed. Heavy rocking forward and back to try to get un-stuck might cause issues. Plainly put, they're weak axles, the gears specifically. But as long as there's no extreme torque demands from them they shouldn't just explode.

Good luck with your upcoming demo derby/rampage/romp in the post apocalyptic landscape. Hope it all works out for you lol

Post up some pics once you got this beast sitting on 40s, could be cool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind