Throttle Valve cable issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan.johnson

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 lwb
Engine Size
I recently replaced my carb with a 1406 and have been having issues with my shifting on the rare occasion i test drive the truck.

I have a 700r4 and i bought the summit racing correction bracket along with an edelbrock mounting bracket for the cable mount.

When I tried the recommended method I was shifting early, I then tried setting it by hand.

It now handles the 1/2 perfectly, the 2/3 is rough and I have no overdrive.

I called bowtie overdrive today to see what their product could do for me and the tech I talked to was a complete jackass, wound up not answering any of my questions, just raising his voice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should continue/ what to check? I havent checked pressures yet- thats what I tried talking to bowtie about- but I should be able to tomorrow.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It would seem to me you have it adjust to tight. Meaning it's pulling to much. Try to back it off about 1/4 inch at a time and see what happens. You might need to do it 2-3 times, but the harsh shift, suggests to tight, and so does not getting OD.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im currently putting an 1806 and 2701 on my 350 with a 700r4. I have the whole set up on my work bench as I have been piecing it all together. and im not happy with the edelbrock brackets. instead im gonna fabricate something using the 700r4 brackets for the holleys and have it mount off the carb. you need to have the cable pull straight and level otherwise the amount of cable travel will vary and it will be impossible to get it adjusted just right.

this edelbrock carb on a 700r4 is a freakin pain in the $^%$%&^%&*

Im almost tempted to just sell it all as it is all brandnew and use the money to get my Quadrajet redone with new throttle bushings.

something that was supposed to be a weekend project has turned into months and its still not ready!

Last edited:

ryan.johnson

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 lwb
Engine Size
Is there any way to drop the tranny pan without taking off the cross member? I tried jacking up the tailstock a little but its still not enough.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
im not sure as I have never had a 2wd 700r4. I would assume that you would not need to remove the crossmember. You might have to just get those bolts undone by the cross member first and get them out of your way and then undo the front ones a little at a time so some of the fluid will poor out and not on to you.

I remember a 2wd th350 I had was a little tight for space at the back of the pan.

Much easier for next time if you reinstall a new pan regular or deepsump with a drain bung.

Deepsumps are good for giving a little extra cooling ability. plus makes doing a backyard full tranny flush a lot easier too, but if you do go with a deep sump, make sure the pan comes with a filter extension. I used a B&M deep pan, comes with the extension and a spring to hold the filter in place . I think it was $55. Part # 70289

ryan.johnson

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 lwb
Engine Size
I'll take a picture tomorrow but I dont think a deep pan would fit, it would hit the crossmember, a plug would be nice, but i still have to remove it for a filter change.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm using the holly bracket that madorge is talking about and it works great. Of course I'm also using a holly carb. Part# holly 20-95 for the bracket.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bought one for my Eddie, layed on my desk forever and never installed it since I don't have the 700r4 in it yet. Went to go install it so I can do the trans swap and can't find it now. Damn me !!! :flipthebird:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04