Throttle sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350chevy85

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 TBI
I recently obtained a 1985 c20 with a 5.7l 350 and had to rebuild the quadrajet carb im having a problem where i cant get the idle speed to stay at a normal rpm. Ive messed around with the idle screws and still cant get it to get lower then a medium rev. I can use my hand to pull the throttle all the way back against the idle screw and it will idle normally but once i use the gas peddle it wont go back to touching the idle screw i have changed the spring that pulls the throttle back when letting off the gas and it still wont go all the way against the idle screw. Any Suggestions would be very helpful thanks

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Check the throttle cable for frayed strands. Also did you have throttle bushings installed? They may be tight and not letting the throttle move freely enough.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it has AC, make sure the idle kick-up solenoid isn't engaging when it's not supposed to. Recently happened on a customer's '84 C10.

350chevy85

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 TBI
Check the throttle cable for frayed strands. Also did you have throttle bushings installed? They may be tight and not letting the throttle move freely enough.

I havent checked the cable yet so i dont know if its frayed or not but when i re built the carb i didnt replace any throttle bushing so either the ones in there are bad or its something else. As for the A/C idle kick up solenoid i dont believe there is one on the carb even though i have A/C in the truck. Also at high rpms i get pops as if its flooding, can that be an issue with float height or if not wat else could fix it

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Could be a vacuum leak if the base gasket didn't seal good. Also if you accidentally bent a choke rod could cause it, but you would notice the choke plate closed. First thing I would check is for vacuum leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW