Throttle Position Sensor Voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ol Blue 2018

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
1987 V10 TBI 350

Using my trusty "paperclip", I see I have a code 22: Throttle Position Sensor (signal voltage low)

Using a multimeter I see that I have .54 volts at closed throttle and 3.4 volts at wide open throttle. My service manual says I should have about .5 volts at closed throttle and about 5 volts at wide open throttle.

I am thinking this means replace the TPS. Is this correct?
Thank you and let me know if this sounds right.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
not knowing what it looks like, is it possible to clean it?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Your low voltage is perfect. I can’t even get mine to read that low after boring the mounting holes in order to pivot the sensor. The high one is a problem. It should be 4.5-5V. Did you notice any dead spots? If your throttle linkage is moving like it’s supposed to all the way to WOT, I’m thinking replace it.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Verify 5v exists on one of the wires. If reference is good, then sensor likely at fault

Ol Blue 2018

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
not knowing what it looks like, is it possible to clean it?

Yes, maybe but frankly if I take it off, it's getting replaced.

Your low voltage is perfect. I can’t even get mine to read that low after boring the mounting holes in order to pivot the sensor. The high one is a problem. It should be 4.5-5V. Did you notice any dead spots? If your throttle linkage is moving like it’s supposed to all the way to WOT, I’m thinking replace it.

I did not notice any dead spots at all. I assume that yes, my throttle linkage is functioning properly.

Verify 5v exists on one of the wires. If reference is good, then sensor likely at fault

OK great. I got 5 volts on one of the other wires constantly. Does it matter which one? There is a light color, a dark color and a blue one. The blue one is the one that changes with throttle position.

Thanks for the responses!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes