Thoughts on satin black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So im about to acquire a 91' s10 thats in primer and im thinkin of painting it satin black with an orange stripe down the body line. Im thinking of rattle canning it but im not sure. Anyone have advice on satin black or what brand to use? Or even suggestions... i think satin would look real nice.

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Nah im not a fan of doin that. Im thinkin of sorta hot roddin it. Monte carlo wheeels or aluminum slots, tinted windows...

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Primer/flat black with slots, n find someone to do old school pinstripes in orange and white, or silver:waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Imho, it's overdone. BUT, it looks good as long as you can get it sprayed on without being blotchy and peeling off after a short amount of time. Which is what most people's jobs look like.

Call me weird, I always liked the look of red oxide primer. But ain't nobody does that anymore.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Imho, it's overdone. BUT, it looks good as long as you can get it sprayed on without being blotchy and peeling off after a short amount of time. Which is what most people's jobs look like.

Call me weird, I always liked the look of red oxide primer. But ain't nobody does that anymore.
What would you use as a paint over it though?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So im about to acquire a 91' s10 thats in primer and im thinkin of painting it satin black with an orange stripe down the body line. Im thinking of rattle canning it but im not sure. Anyone have advice on satin black or what brand to use? Or even suggestions... i think satin would look real nice.

You must be registered for see images attach
Check out the guy Moore Motorsports Garage, on YouTube. I like Rust-Oleum 2x. It lays down nice and seems to coat very well. That guy have numerous paint jobs done with it. Looks like spray gun jobs. He has one car he just required that he did like five years earlier or something it looks good. He has a bunch of videos, there not that long either for painting whole cars .

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you are gonna rattle can it might come out a little blotchy. More work and money involved but if you get a good 2k aerosol paint and satin primer the job will last much longer and be more resistant sun fade and rock chips. Those cans are like 15-25 each depending where you go.

Maybe single stage it from maaco for a few hundos?

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Steady hand and rustoleum from lowes my friend. Practice on your shed first so you can get a rythem and consistant pattern down. Satin is very foregiving.
Eric

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Have used Rust-Oleum "tractor" paint on wife's vintage camper with success

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you are gonna rattle can it might come out a little blotchy. More work and money involved but if you get a good 2k aerosol paint and satin primer the job will last much longer and be more resistant sun fade and rock chips. Those cans are like 15-25 each depending where you go.

Maybe single stage it from maaco for a few hundos?
Look at the videos that guy has posted. I was skeptical. They are not splochy or tiger stripey. I don't think I could get those results but he does an amazing job. He even has several including his wife's car that he paints like a teal blue Rust-Oleum 2x color. He shoots it with rattle can 2k clear. It's about $100 of clear over about $40-50 of spray paint. Looks GOOD. I probably wouldn't do it myself , probably go with a single stage paint from HVLP gun myself.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Go for it! It'll look cool!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Look at the videos that guy has posted. I was skeptical. They are not splochy or tiger stripey. I don't think I could get those results but he does an amazing job. He even has several including his wife's car that he paints like a teal blue Rust-Oleum 2x color. He shoots it with rattle. An 2k clear. It's about $100 of clear over about $40-50 of spray paint. Looks GOOD. I probably wouldn't do it myself , probably go with a single stage paint from HVLP gun myself.

Ill check it out. For the price its worth the shot I say.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
gotta love

gotta love covering rust with.......rust!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redneckgames