Duramax/Square body swap? Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
I've got a 1988 crew cab square thats overall pretty clean and nearly rust free. I've always been a duramax geek, owned probably a dozen of them, with various degrees of mods and power over the years. Very close to pulling the trigger on a wrecked LBZ or LMM for a swap. Considering a body swap for a few reasons. #1, my square body is 2wd, and I'd be swapping with a 4x4 truck. I have to have 4x4. #2 better frame. #3 heavier suspension and better brakes. The IFS doesn't scare me, I'm very familiar with it, will upgrade tie rods. I appreciate the smooth ride of the IFS. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, and have done engine swaps before successfully. Built a 1995 chevy with a 12 valve cummins in it. Been driving it for years.

So all this being said, am I crazy for considering a body swap? I didn't find much for builds in here for guys doing swaps on to newer frames like this. Facebook groups provided very little info either. Just a couple useful comments saying the front body mounts line up, the rest will have to be moved. Another guy said he planned to cut out the duramax firewall and use that to keep the duramax dash and steering column. I'd rather keep the square body dash, and use a dakota digital cluster.

Would love to hear some thoughts and feedback on the idea. Thanks!
Pretty interested in seeing what you decide to do with yours. I could see myself doing a similar move down the road. Would be a bit different for me though. I have an '08 2500 4x4 with lightly used LMM but the body is rotting out on it with it's frame not far behind. Have been putting some thought into fitting the powertrain into my clean CUCV eventually. Would keep the original frame and axels in the square and it's tier 0 emissions would allow lots of options for the Dmax.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad