This makes 0 sense to me! Heater hose route

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
My 84 came with this setup, water pump is plugged off. Somebody told me it was the HD cooling option which makes sense as my truck came from Nevada. Hope this is helpful.
My '87 is like that only the connection is behind the TB and the Coolant Temp Sensor is where your hose connects to manifold. I'm assuming GM did that on the TBI's for a more accurate reading, the coolant having to travel further before it gets to the temp sensor.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
This has been the thought of being on the cold side till the thermostat opens. But does the connection on the intake not get flow till the thermostat is open anyway ?
Right, it won't flow until stat opens, but coolant is getting warmed sitting in the intake & engine before hand.

jimmy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
5.7l
Right, it won't flow until stat opens, but coolant is getting warmed sitting in the intake & engine before hand. It's not really on the cold side as it flows back into the radiator from t-stat after it's hot enough to open it.
So in reality the difference from intake connection and water pump connection is a few minutes earlier hot coolant through the core. As it will be constantly flowing if connected to the water pump back into the rad till the rad sees warm coolant.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Makes sense. Although I didn’t think twice about it. It’s how the truck was plumbed up when I got it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
This seems janky to say the least.
You are correct, your truck is not correct.

5/8" hose from the intake manifold to the heater core. 3/4" hose from heater core to the water pump, or the radiator, not both. This diagram @AuroraGirl posted is good, one or the other.

You must be registered for see images attach

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I think everyone is making it more complicated than it is. Warm water flows through core with no leaks is good. Pump to core, core to radiator. Check for leaks. Good to go.

Or if your radiator doesn't have a spot for the heater hose(some don't)then it's pump to core, core to intake manifold. No leaks then good to go.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My 84 came with this setup, water pump is plugged off. Somebody told me it was the HD cooling option which makes sense as my truck came from Nevada. Hope this is helpful.

I like that adjuster on the alternator, pretty slick.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Can someone shed some light on this monstrosity of a heater hose routing.

Rad to heater core with tee to intake manifold

Heater core to water pump

Maybe there was a valve to stop the flow in the summer months and it got removed?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
For simplicity sake, larger hose has the warmer coolant to the core, the smaller hose is the cooler coolant coming out of the core to be reheated and cycled through the system.

But yeah, your setup needs to be fixed the way everyone has showed with diagrams and their setups.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I think everyone is making it more complicated than it is. Pump to core, core to radiator.

Or if your radiator doesn't have a spot for the heater hose(some don't)then it's pump to core, core to intake manifold

For simplicity sake, larger hose has the warmer coolant to the core, the smaller hose is the cooler coolant coming out of the core to be reheated ......

I was going to let this go, but I cannot. These statements are wrong.

I bought two square body trucks brand new. I have worked on many squares in the fleet.

Cooler coolant is sucked from the water pump from the bottom of the radiator and is pumped into the engine block low. Hot coolant leaves the intake manifold through the thermostat.

There is a 5/8" fitting on the intake manifold where the hottest coolant should flow to the lower 5/8" pipe of the heater core. You get hot coolant to the heater core even if the thermostat has not opened to let it flow to the upper radiator hose. The coolant leaves the 3/4" upper heater core pipe back to the water pump, or the radiator.

This is how the factory made them to get heat to the cab quickly. Naturally, the heater will still work either way, but it will work best how I have stated.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I was going to let this go, but I cannot. These statements are wrong.

I bought two square body trucks brand new. I have worked on many squares in the fleet.

Cooler coolant is sucked from the water pump from the bottom of the radiator and is pumped into the engine block low. Hot coolant leaves the intake manifold through the thermostat.

There is a 5/8" fitting on the intake manifold where the hottest coolant should flow to the lower 5/8" pipe of the heater core. You get hot coolant to the heater core even if the thermostat has not opened to let it flow to the upper radiator hose. The coolant leaves the 3/4" upper heater core pipe back to the water pump, or the radiator.

This is how the factory made them to get heat to the cab quickly. Naturally, the heater will still work either way, but it will work best how I have stated.
Thanks for clarifying. My bad for posting wrong info. To me it makes more sense, though, hot coolant in the bigger hose for more volume to the heater core, and the smaller hose allows for some back pressure to slow the flow and let the heater core disperse more heat into the cabin, and thus, the cooler coolant flows in the smaller hose. Good to know I was wrong.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can someone shed some light on this monstrosity of a heater hose routing.

Rad to heater core with tee to intake manifold

Heater core to water pump

You dont need the heater hose to radiator.The rest by itself will work.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for clarifying. My bad for posting wrong info. To me it makes more sense, though, hot coolant in the bigger hose for more volume to the heater core, and the smaller hose allows for some back pressure to slow the flow and let the heater core disperse more heat into the cabin, and thus, the cooler coolant flows in the smaller hose. Good to know I was wrong.
slowing the coolant circulation down wont make it hotter, the truck that is. Heat will be shed from the coolant wether it moves fast or slow

jimmy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
5.7l
You dont need the heater hose to radiator.The rest by itself will work.
Unfortunately the port on the rad is there and with the trans cooler there they tend to work together. Not wanting to plug a big hole if I don’t need to

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1