This makes 0 sense to me! Heater hose route

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was looking at this thinking it might be correct
no thats insane your limiting your original coolant flow and frankly im not sure that it would make your heater core that effective lol

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I see it now. I thought it was an either or diagram. Autos going to the rad and manual s going to the water pump
It IS an either or.

On non auto vehicles it went manifold (hot side) to core, core to water pump (cold side)

On auto vehicles it goes manifold to core, core to radiator, it does this to dump a little heat into the cold tank of the radiator where the trans cooler is to get the trans up to temp in cold weather.

I have never seen a factory tee in the return line.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
That setup in the last picture is how my ‘75 350 with TH350 is plumbed.

Mine also has HD cooling (standard when you order A/C), so it uses a longer PS belt that goes around the both the crankshaft and water pump (dual groove pulley on water pump). If the alternator belt breaks, the PS belt will still drive the water pump.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
It IS an either or.

On non auto vehicles it went manifold (hot side) to core, core to water pump (cold side)

On auto vehicles it goes manifold to core, core to radiator, it does this to dump a little heat into the cold tank of the radiator where the trans cooler is to get the trans up to temp in cold weather.

That's EXACTLY what my '87 auto does, nothing off the water pump. My manifold fitting is behind the TB though, but I'm pretty sure that's original. Not t's or y's in my system whatsoever.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
On my '87 auto, the wp is plugged, no heater hose connects to it. I'm 99% sure it's factory.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It IS an either or.

I thought I had an explanation, but it’s been a while. Only SB/BB GMs I’ve worked on in forever is the boat and now the 86 gmc.
So just replaced the heater core on the 86. And it was and still is, water pump to core and radiator to core. Which doesn’t match either of the scenarios you mentioned.
Heat gets hot and works great. So idk….

jimmy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
5.7l
On my '87 auto, the wp is plugged, no heater hose connects to it. I'm 99% sure it's factory.
I’m planning on going water pump to heater core return to rad. Only reason is
I thought I had an explanation, but it’s been a while. Only SB/BB GMs I’ve worked on in forever is the boat and now the 86 gmc.
So just replaced the heater core on the 86. And it was and still is, water pump to core and radiator to core. Which doesn’t match either of the scenarios you mentioned.
That’s my my plan. I need the port on the intake for a temp sensor. That’s where the wire goes to already so that’s where the sensor is going.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
My 76 (350 w/ac) was setup with one hose from the intake and the other hose to the radiator. When I changed radiators the new one didn’t have provision for the return hose there, so I ran it to the water pump.

My 79 (350 w/o ac) was setup like that from the factory:
You must be registered for see images attach

jimmy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
5.7l
My 76 (350 w/ac) was setup with one hose from the intake and the other hose to the radiator. When I changed radiators the new one didn’t have provision for the return hose there, so I ran it to the water pump.

Is this a manual transmission? The 79?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

LOL "It ran when I parked it"

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Hey man no worries. The 86 manual shows the path I describe as well. Plenty of variation thru the years, though so idk either...but if you think about the coolant flow on a std rotation water pump. Coolant goes from passenger tank (cold) to water pump (cold) to engine, thru engine to intake manifold (hot) to drivers tank (hot) and then getes cooled and starts over. So if you're going from wp to core to radiator, it's theoretically all on the cold side of flow until the thermostat opens. It all ends up hot in the end but like I said plenty of variation over the years and if it works...it works. Nothing wrong if it works the way you want.

tsgs84

Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can someone shed some light on this monstrosity of a heater hose routing.

Rad to heater core with tee to intake manifold

Heater core to water pump

This seems janky to say the least.
My 84 came with this setup, water pump is plugged off. Somebody told me it was the HD cooling option which makes sense as my truck came from Nevada. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1462.jpeg
    IMG_1462.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 34

jimmy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
5.7l
Hey man no worries. The 86 manual shows the path I describe as well. Plenty of variation thru the years, though so idk either...but if you think about the coolant flow on a std rotation water pump. Coolant goes from passenger tank (cold) to water pump (cold) to engine, thru engine to intake manifold (hot) to drivers tank (hot) and then getes cooled and starts over. So if you're going from wp to core to radiator, it's theoretically all on the cold side of flow until the thermostat opens. It all ends up hot in the end but like I said plenty of variation over the years and if it works...it works. Nothing wrong if it works the way you want.
This has been the thought of being on the cold side till the thermostat opens. But does the connection on the intake not get flow till the thermostat is open anyway ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1