Thinking PS pump is going south...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So recently, the last 2 or 3 mornings I'm getting a power steering whine usually at stop or very slow speeds but not all the time. I checked the fluid and its right on the cold line like it should be before warming the truck up. I'm guessing the pump is just plain tuckered out after 40 years. I don't feel any thing in the steering wheel when turning back and forth unless it whines then it obviously gets harder to turn. I'm not ready to replace the steering gear as of yet but will when I rebuild the truck and get a 2WD gear for crossover steering.

Thoughts...

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It sounds like it’s worn out to me. Mine has started to do the same thing sometimes. Wonder if something could be binding in the steering system causing it to strain? Dry tie rod end maybe? Just throwing out ideas.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You could also try to flush it with the newer power steering fluid, the amber colored stuff that they sell everywhere. The old stuff is very viscous, and it might buy you time before the pump goes or even solve the issue for a while.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Honestly, didn't think about flushing the system. That's a good idea. I'm going to try that first. I'll also look at the TREs and linkage.

Thank you for the thoughts.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The aftermarket pump and steering sector manufacturers also recommend inline filters if you wanted to try that while you’re working on it. I haven’t done it myself but others have.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Honestly, didn't think about flushing the system. That's a good idea. I'm going to try that first. I'll also look at the TREs and linkage.

Thank you for the thoughts.
You don't want to get air in the system, so I suggest you use a vacuum type of pump like the one that looks like a grease gun, and suck out the oil from the tank... replace with new and after a few days driving do it again, and then again to 'change' the oil.

The alternative way is to pull the low pressure return line off the steering box, route it into a waste can, and while the engine is running watch the oil level in the tank and continue to keep it topped off with fresh oil... but if you get behind an d pump sucks air, you will end up having a really ****** day.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You don't want to get air in the system, so I suggest you use a vacuum type of pump like the one that looks like a grease gun, and suck out the oil from the tank... replace with new and after a few days driving do it again, and then again to 'change' the oil.

The alternative way is to pull the low pressure return line off the steering box, route it into a waste can, and while the engine is running watch the oil level in the tank and continue to keep it topped off with fresh oil... but if you get behind an d pump sucks air, you will end up having a really ****** day.

The latter is what I had in mind for this. But you’re absolutely right. A good funnel will come in handy here so the fluid doesn’t blow away. Of course then you’ll have to guess at how much to add. Better in this one case to be liberal.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Lubegard makes an additive for PS systems that helps with noise and circulation. I'm not a big additive fan ,but this stuff seems to work! It has shut up a couple of fored PS pumps and we all know how hard that is!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Lubegard makes an additive for PS systems that helps with noise and circulation. I'm not a big additive fan ,but this stuff seems to work! It has shut up a couple of fored PS pumps and we all know how hard that is!

They make another additive that I find works, Mr. Tranny Shudder Fixx. It’s for people with failing torque converters.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
lubegard makes power steering and sells it by the quart it is a little pricey but it is great stuff. A inline power steering filter on the return helps keep crap out of the pump assembly.

Big Al

Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have a 1975 C30 and replaced the hydroboost PS pump and all the hoses and most all of the fluid. It was still screaming when warm. I read about old guys adding a tad bit of ATF to calm down the foaming and the cavitation. It seemed to work pretty good in the 1975. Have the same issue in a 2004 GMC 2500 HD and tried the same thing with no avail.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a 1975 C30 and replaced the hydroboost PS pump and all the hoses and most all of the fluid. It was still screaming when warm. I read about old guys adding a tad bit of ATF to calm down the foaming and the cavitation. It seemed to work pretty good in the 1975. Have the same issue in a 2004 GMC 2500 HD and tried the same thing with no avail.

GM commonly filled the PS system with ATF to begin with.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Lubegard makes a very good Power Steering additive that sometimes helps the noise problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don