The Money pit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
In the shape of a 79 Corvette, Found wiring melting at the fuse block and installed a new universal harness front to rear. (1 fire avoided) At the Same time added an older Holley Commander 950 efi system. Apparently a hose was strected when we mounted the external pump and eventually sprung a leak in my friends attached garage where it was stored while I was between garages. (2nd fire avoided) After fixing those issues I tried to drive it to Street Machine Nationals in Du Quoin IL and had it die on me while driving only to find a bad relay for the efi system... it was 15 years old by then. By the time I fixed it from that was to late to leave that night and figured we would just go to the track semi local to the event thinking all the cars would come out. Made some 1/8th mile passes on 15yr kelly charger tires, probably embarrassed some stock big block cars, a C6 Grand sport that couldnt figure out his n2o and called it a night with my 8.553 1/8th time slip. Start the car let it warm up, just before seating my headphones in my rear I hear a odd sound, I look over and no oil pressure. Turn the car off, check under for leaks, check oil level restart thinking gauge is bad. Still no pressure turn off, my friends see me doing this and get out of their cars and come over. We ground out the pressure and it works fine, called for someone to come and get me and the car with a trailer from home...like 70 miles away. Finally get back at 4am go to bed. Hours later take the car to friends shop and drop oil pan to find the sump in the pan and a chunk of a piston skirt, it appears previous owner rattled the engine broke the skirt and the piece got sucked into the pump because the sump wasnt installed correctly. Pull the engine tear it apart to find crank damaged from metal being pumped through the engine, cyl. walls with minor damage. This was the time to do away with things that I didnt like about that engine build like the flat top pistons and 58 cc heads, 90s compucam designed to work with a stock efi 350. Cyl. walls cleaned up with a enough work to allow for .030 over forged pistons so now it has a 406 with scat cast crank, 5.7 rods, Icon forged pistons 14cc dish, 234/244 .488/.510 @50 112 cam. I ran out of money so the 58cc alum 113 heads had to go back on. Rebuilt engine and it started for break in and had to stop for coolant leaks. Tightened hoses hit key... nothing... try again nothing.. Inspect test,try still nothing. Replace ICM fires up run for break in turn off. Go tostart it later nothing.... swap in icm fires up turn off, back on nothing..pull msd dist. replace with parts store dist no issue. Start car to back off lift nothing..check its getting spark..check fuel pump fuse its blown, put in new turn key instant pop.... Lift the car check pump with ohm meter dead short..1 yr old Waboro... DEcide I am done with external pumps ask Walboro if I can warranty replace that pump with one to fit the 82 sump, they send me an upgrade for a tpi car and it fit. Wired up, new lines ran and all is back on track.
It ran the same time next time at the track because f the ****** tires but it lived. It got Intellitronix digital dash so now I have a functional tach. I have been fighting cooling issue all along and had a chance to buy GM fastburn heads and Holley HP efi for a deal, so we put the fastburns on 1.5 yrs ago but didnt have time for the hp system, the engine seems happier and runs better but the old 600cfm tbi is limiting it. When we did the heads and intake I also had to get a hood to clear so it got a L88 aftermarket hood and since there was a sale going on Global west upper control arms and QA1 single adjustable semi coil overs. Tired of fighting with the cooling issue I found a scratch and dent sale on the the overkill of radiators and got one for about 60% of msrp. Knowing I needed to replace the 15yr tires mentioned earlier I kept looking for wheels I liked and that would fit, fathers day 2018 there was an ebay coupon for 20% off and a sale on tires. Placed to separate orders using the coupon to save $200 total finally got new tires on it after 5 years of owning the car. July 2 moved to Jupiter FL, car in family's garage till I can go get it and my square.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
cool project :) I personally like the wheels that were on it in the first and second pic but the wheels in the last pic aren't bad.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
cool project :) I personally like the wheels that were on it in the first and second pic but the wheels in the last pic aren't bad.

Thanks, they werent bad but unless you go with drag radials or slicks there isnt anything for speed ratings with 15" wheels and since I like twisty it only made sense.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Found this on a search for dash repair...??
I know this thread wasn't about wheels but since @Old77 started it the bottom wheels are sweet, or the stockers.
The c5 wheels make me hate the car and I happen to like this body style. Don't nomally find offense on part swaps between generations. Unless it's bed swaps on a square...

These vettes really need a lip/dish on the wheel.

There's probably something way different on it by now. :D

Last edited:

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
I like the wheels in pics 1 and 3.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Found this on a search for dash repair...??
I know this thread wasn't about wheels but since @Old77 started it the bottom wheels are sweet, or the stockers.
The c5 wheels make me hate the car and I happen to like this body style. Don't nomally find offense on part swaps between generations. Unless it's bed swaps on a square...

These vettes really need a lip/dish on the wheel.

There's probably something way different on it by now. :D

Na it still has the wheels from pic 3.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Them 15 year old Kelly Chargers were a damned fine tire!

Seems like jyst as their fame was beginning to spread and I wanted to buy MORE of them, they changed the compound.

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20