TH350 Convertor Lockup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As long as I've had my '84 C10, it has felt like the vacuum operated lockup has been non-operational. A few days ago I installed a tach and my suspicions seem to have been confirmed. The vacuum switch is plugged in and has a good vacuum line hooked to manifold vacuum.

However, tonight I had to make a run to the bank. It involved several back country roads down to the next town, at speeds of 55-65 mph and slight curves in the road. I noticed several times that while leaning lightly into the throttle while exiting a curve, the motor seemed to lightly 'hiccup' and then the rpm's would jump up a bit. Almost like I have a dying accelerator pump, but I don't. I think that the lockup might have been working all this time and I didn't know it, and now it's starting to malfunction.

I guess my question is this: How noticeable is the vacuum style lockup on the TH350? I'm used to the ECM controlled lockup of the 700R4, it's very noticeable... but maybe it's just because it's more apparent in OD (lower rpm). I'm also wondering if I have a lockup solenoid in the trans that is starting to stick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx