Th350 atf leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
So I just got my first automatic squarebody, 1976 Chevrolet k10 custom deluxe with a 350/350/np203(yikes) I noticed the trans drips a little atf I was just wondering what some common spots are for them to leak. I have no idea what any part of it is called as this is the first automatic I’ve ever touched. It has recently been pressure washed underneath so I can get some half way decent photos of maybe where it’s coming from

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Dipstick tube, kickdown cable, vacuum modulator, shifter, speedometer and pan. Then you have front and rear main seals.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Go to your nearest auto parts store. Get a bottle of A/C oil with the fluorescent dye. Add a little to the transmission and drive it. Shine a black light around the transmission. The dye will make the leak obvious enough for Stevie wonder to see it.

As mentioned, the most likely leaks are the dipstick tube o-ring and kickdown cable grommet. If it turns out to be the dipstick tube, be sure to closely inspect the area the O-ring sits. It’s pretty common to find them cracked.

If the tube needs to be replaced, get a aftermarket replacement that uses the later model boot style seal. They are a much better design.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
No idea what the vacuum modulator is but,
You must be registered for see images attach

Dipstick tube?

Shift linkage has a drop from it? I’m assuming that’s the shift linkage

last photo is just oil but I don’t know how to remove a photo

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dipstick tube, kickdown cable, vacuum modulator, shifter, speedometer and pan. Then you have front and rear main seals.
Nailed it. I am doing this as we speak. My son, my brother and I pulled the transmission out of our 80 Z28 because it leaked from EVERY place possible. Should be finishing up tomorrow. Just waiting to get an American made front pump seal. Not the Chinesium trash. Bought a whole kit off of the internet for 65 bucks. All of it is China trash. Had to piece an American kit. Still trying to get all American seals. Anyone know a good AMERICAN MADE place to get all the seals and o rings from? Really TIRED of the idiots on Capitol Hill selling out our country so those traitors can make extra cash. I want our country to start manufacturing our own stuff agin. I will pay the extra cost for our American people to make our products. Below aver I.Q. MORONS make laws that kill our American manufacturing just so those corrupt bastards can pocket extra money. In a truly honest society, that wouldn’t happen. I’ve had it with this crap. Seriously.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Vacuum Modulator is on the passenger side. Kinda looks like your distributors' vacuum advance. There's a steel tube running from the manifold, behind the engine, and down to the modulator. Then there's a short piece of rubber tube from the steel tube to the modulator. This usually deteriorates and if the modulator is leaking internally, you wind up with ATF all over.

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
I understand it can be difficult, but first clean everything you can, the dye is also a good idea, but a clean canvas to identify the origination of the leak is key.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The shift shaft seal is definitely leaking, no question. I’m betting the dipstick and kickdown cable seals are also leaking, you can see how the fluid leaking has washed away the dirt and grime around those areas.

Go to your nearest transmission shop. If the builder has been in the business long chances are he will have a container full of the O-rings and seals. If not, he can order them. TransStar at one time sold a external reseal kit, basically every external seal in one package. I’m at work now, my TransStar catalog is at home.

Drop the oil pan first, that will make the repair much easier and cleaner. Disconnect the kickdown cable from the carb, that will give you the extra slack you need to disconnect the cable from the trans. There are several videos on how to replace the seal on the shifter shaft. Replace all the o-rings and grommets, make sure you lube everything with clean ATF or Vasoline. It’s easy to cut the seals installing them dry. Replace the filter, reinstall the pan, refill and your done.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
NAPA makes a tool that facilitates both the removal of the failed seal and installation of the new seal without having to remove from the vehicle. I used it on my th400 and it was pretty slick.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
It's fairly inexpensive, too @QBuff02 .......right? Less than $10, if I remember correctly??

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Good luck. I'll be honest, I rarely see a TH350/400 that doesn't leak. Thankfully, most leak points are somewhat easy to address.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
NAPA makes a tool that facilitates both the removal of the failed seal and installation of the new seal without having to remove from the vehicle. I used it on my th400 and it was pretty slick.

I have that tool as well, it works great. In this case, removing the pan is needed to fix the other leaks. If the pan didn’t need to come off it might be worth investing in the tool.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I just looked, the tool for replacing the seal is only 10 bucks. I thought it was more than that. It’s definitely worth spending the money!!

Just make sure you remove any burrs from the shifter linkage before installing the new seal.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No idea what the vacuum modulator is but,

Dipstick tube?

Shift linkage has a drop from it? I’m assuming that’s the shift linkage

last photo is just oil but I don’t know how to remove a photo

Looks to me like it's that pan bolt.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I don’t have a transmission shop local nor a Napa, but I’ll definitely clean everything up and see how bad it’s really leaking and order seals and weigh my options. I’ve never touched an automatic so this is all a learning experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave