Terrible Steering on 79

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79k25

Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350?
So im going to be attempting to fix up our 79 K25 farm truck. The biggest problem is probably the steering. In order to go straight the steering wheel has to be rotated to about 90 degrees but will wonder pretty good and will sometimes seem to catch. if that's the right word. So i was wondering what would be the main culprit, even though its probably a big combination. My guess is the steering box?

Thanks guys.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's hard to say without looking. Most common part to cause a LOT of play is the rag joint coupler in the steering shaft. But everything needs to be looked over, including inspecting the frame very closely for cracks where the steering box mounts.

LB2387

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I agree with bucket. Sounds like the rag joint is about gone. When it seems to "catch", it is just hanging up on one of the bolts that are right there, and keeping it from free spinning

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Start from the steering wheel and work down.

With the tires on the ground, check the splined joint that connects the steering wheel to the column shaft. While working the wheel back and forth, have an assistant watch the section of steering shaft between the firewall and the steering gear. If the steering wheel can be rotated without a corresponding motion in the steering shaft - the steering wheel to column splines are shot.

If that joint appears to be tight, check the intermediate joint (up near the firewall penetration) for a broken pin or through bolt.

Next do the rag joint and its shaft couplings. Same method as above except that this time the assistant will be looking for slippage between the intermediate column shaft and the lower section (actually the steering gear input shaft) while you work the wheel.

If everything appears tight up to this point, there is one more joint to check. That is the steering gear output shaft-to-Pitman arm.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
When he said catch I was thinking worn out steering stabilizer

79k25

Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350?
Oops sorry guys I wasn't getting notifications and didn't realise there were replies. Unfortunately I'm not able to work on it for a little while but I will definitely check out the rag joint and see what all I can find out. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85