tcase support question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
first off, let me apologize for the picture quality. damn phone. anyway, im doing a resto-mod on the truck my grand dad bought new in 74. the year after that, my dad bought one pretty much like it, just 1/2 ton instead of 3/4 ton. dads truck had dual exhaust, and this didn't. I was under it today and noticed it has a couple extra supports on the main t case support (see pics). since it has those, there is no room for a second exhaust pipe on the passenger side. I don't remember these extra supports being on dads truck. my question is, are these supports vital? are they something that was changed between 74 and 75, or it is a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton thing? just trying to find out if I can remove them safely, or if they have to be left in. as always, im turning to those with more knowledge than I have for answers. thanks....

Attachments

• tcase brace driver side.jpg
    tcase brace driver side.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 104
  • tcase brace pass side.jpg
    tcase brace pass side.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 122

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I can't see the extra supports - probably because I don't know where they are.

But anyway, most likely they are the transfer case braces. Whether you need them or not depends on how hard you intend to work the truck while in 4WD. If you are going to plow or do any intense off-roading you should have the t-case braced.

There is another type of brace that is used when the truck is equipped with dual exhaust. Check the two holes on the side of the t-case as shown below - they should be tapped:

You must be registered for see images attach

If they are (tapped), find the brace shown below. It hugs in close to the t-case and allows a RH side exhaust pipe to pass between the case and frame.

One end bolts to the two holes shown above, and the other end is secured by one of the bell housing to engine block bolts.

I tried to find an image of one installed but this is all I could come up with. It only shows the brace attached to the t-case:

All these images are for 85 - 86 vintage K series but should apply to your 74.

BTW - I have three GM service manuals for your 1974 truck (Service Manual, Overhaul Manual & Wiring Diagrams). Bump this if you're interested and I'll upload them to deposit files for you.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I can't see the extra supports - probably because I don't know where they are.

But anyway, most likely they are the transfer case braces. Whether you need them or not depends on how hard you intend to work the truck while in 4WD. If you are going to plow or do any intense off-roading you should have the t-case braced.

There is another type of brace that is used when the truck is equipped with dual exhaust. Check the two holes on the side of the t-case as shown below - they should be tapped:

If they are find the brace shown below. It hugs in close to the t-case and allows a RH side exhaust pipe to pass between the case and frame.

One end bolts to the two holes shown above, and the other end is secured by one of the bell housing to engine block bolts.

I tried to find an image of one installed but this is all I could come up with. It only shows the brace attached to the t-case:

All these images are for 85 - 86 vintage K series but should apply to your 74.

BTW - I have three GM service manuals for your 1974 truck (Service Manual, Overhaul Manual & Wiring Diagrams). Bump this if you're interested and I'll upload them to deposit files for you.

I think he's talking about the little brace that goes from the cross member to the top of the frame rail.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

That brace?

IDK what that would do. Seems like a brace to brace another brace.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ive never seen one aside from this picture. Every one I have owned has never had one so it shouldn't be an issue removing it for exhaust clearance.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
yes, I meant the little brace from crossmember to top of frame rail. like I said, phone pics suck. sorry. I do have the bar you were talking about, several of them in fact. seems I latched on to some spares while working on my 84 project years ago, and forgot I had them until recently. if I don't need the small brace, im taking it off. I honestly don't see why I should, just wanted to verify. thanks for all your help. might actually get this project off the ground someday.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
You mean like this : ??

Attachments

• IMAG0200.jpg
    IMAG0200.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 118

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
yea, I didn't think I really needed them. they gone when I start the drivetrain part of this project. thanks again for all your replies.....:cheers:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No prob !