TBI issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
thanks

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
you can borrow 'noid lights from advance nd plug them in and see if you get flash. If not, then suspect wiring from the ECM and if not, suspect the quaddrivers (GM owes me big money) in the ECM. ECMs are cheap.

If there is flash then the injectors themselves can be bad (but both at once?) or the on board fuel pressure regulator bad. This of course is assuming you have 9-13lbs at the TBI when key on/cranking (yeah, you have to make an adaptor to hook up and test)

it just dawned on me, I shot this same problem for someone in an S-truck. It HAD fuel at the tbi and it sorta dribbled something, but it was the pump in the tank (1 year old autozone junk) it would start up on the key in start, and almost immediately die. quickly cycling the throttle would get it to run sort of horribly bad.

Last edited:

circuitguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BIG-C
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton Stepside
Engine Size
350 / 5.7
Might have a bad oil pressure sensor on the side of the block above the oil filter. This sensor will turn on the fuel pump during cranking/starting once there is oil pressure present. This is a common problem for the 87.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Subscribed.

txfour

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Had the same problem a month back. Injectors were not firing. It was the distributor. $149 later and it ran like a top.

cods

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
weeks later and after trying everything under the sun, and without spending more money on non-performance parts im going to say f it. being built into a race motor as we speak so bye bye daily driver lol. anyways, I appreciate the help from everyone. my advice to anyone who jumps onto this thread is: if your tbi is running well and has minor problems, keep it. if it is having major issues like mine did, dump it. it's almost the same price to go carbureted and is a lot more reliable. there's a reason why GM quickly funded to improve the fuel injected motors and abandoned the TBI & TPI after abt a decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1