TBI conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaky
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I was thinking of changing my carburetor 350 Chevy pickup engine to a TBI setup, it has the four barrel intake now and 4 barrel carburetor. it's a 1985 Chevy truck, what all has to be changed to make this work?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Make sure cam is TBI friendly, and then intake(or adapter) TBI unit, fuel injection lines, fuel injection gasoline tank, TBI unit, distributor, wiring and ecm.
I have almost complete TBI set up that I was planning to use, but not sure if it still going to be used or not

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You can get a TBI adapter for the current intake, but the cleanest way to do it would be a TBI intake for pre-TBI heads. There’s also a carrier that holds a module, a solenoid, and a sensor, and you need the holes in intake to bolt it down. You’d need a spot to place a coolant temp sensor. You’d either need to unplug a port in the intake or get a water neck with a coolant temp sensor spot in it. You’d need a TBI distributor, ECM, wiring harness. The early 7747 ECM and wiring is the simplest and, in my opinion, most ideal setup. You’d need an ‘87 or later square body tank(s) because the old tanks didn’t have baffling for the fuel pump. And then the lines. Pretty much everything mentioned above with a couple added nuggets.

Randy Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaky
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the helpful info.

Randy Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaky
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Why are you undecided about using you're TBI setup?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I just listed for sale the truck that it was for. But if it does not sell, TBI might find place in it. It is also almost same work as converting to ls motor for me because I need a fresher motor regardless.
Why are you undecided about using you're TBI setup?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20