79 c10 engine upgrade help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nolimit206

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi All,
Just picked up a 79c10 350 bone stock and want to make some upgrades but there is so many options I don't know where to start. Here's my list of what I'm thinking as the truck does have some engine issues. The last day it stated making a ticking/ knocking only once warmed for about 20 minutes. I was thinking a rod or rocker. Engine was rebuilt in 94 but mostly sat in a garage and has about 8k on rebuild.

So I was thinking of
- headers and exhaust
- Quadrajet 4 barrel carburetor
- intake manifold
- new rods and rockers ( check springs)

Can you guys give recommendations on parts or products that works for you. Thanks

Attachments

• 20221116_162937.jpg
    20221116_162937.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 48

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First thing is fix the noise. If just a loose rocker then figure out why. Loose from flat cam, bad lifter or other valve train wear? If in the lower end then your budget may have to go in that direction. In other words, don't put lipstick on a pig.

Nolimit206

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks fast 99. That was going to be my first concern since why waste money if I need to rebuild the engine. Any tips on upgraded rockers?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stock rockers work fine. Could upgrade to roller tip rockers but I wouldn't until the noise is diagnosed.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Hi All,
Just picked up a 79c10 350 bone stock and want to make some upgrades but there is so many options I don't know where to start. Here's my list of what I'm thinking as the truck does have some engine issues. The last day it stated making a ticking/ knocking only once warmed for about 20 minutes. I was thinking a rod or rocker. Engine was rebuilt in 94 but mostly sat in a garage and has about 8k on rebuild.

So I was thinking of
- headers and exhaust
- Quadrajet 4 barrel carburetor
- intake manifold
- new rods and rockers ( check springs)

Can you guys give recommendations on parts or products that works for you. Thanks
Beautiful truck! Welcome to a new big 10 brother!

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome and congrats. I love the Big 10s.
If your truck has been sitting for any length of time (you mentioned 1994), change the fluids, filters, and look for wear with hoses and belts. Before spending any money on upgrades, pull the plugs and check how they are burning. I'd even run a compression check. Once you know your motor is solid, then work up from there.

Nolimit206

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Gtx63 I have done all the fuilds, radiator flush, new thermostat, spark plugs and wires.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, that leaves the knocking noise. For an old truck that has been sitting, I use 20W50 diesel oil, with a can of Berrymens and some mystery oil in the tank. I have had a lot of old small blocks that sat for long periods, and then knocked or ticked on start up. Once they are road worthy I drive them as much as I can; daily if possible. I cannot count the number of motors that banged and clanked and smoked like a wet pile of leaves, only to quiet down and smooth out after a couple hundred miles. Rings will reseat, compression can come back, lifters clean up, etc.
The short end of the story is, don't count the old gen 1s out right away because with a few bucks and a little tinkering, they might surprise you.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
- headers and exhaust
- 4 barrel carburetor
- intake manifold

I would say that your list looks like a great starting point once the noise is dealt with.

For headers, use a set for a 1968-72 Nova. They do not hang down below the frame like the truck ones do.
I have a set on my big block and they fit quite well.

Shop around for used parts as you will save money most of the time.
For example if you are just looking for a simple aluminum intake, some of us parts hoarders have 1 or 5 of them hanging around because it was a good deal that couldn't be passed up....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef