Taillight always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MN73GMC

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I recently inherited a '73 GMC half-ton pickup, and one of the taillights is always on, draining the battery. I replaced the switch for the lights, and initially it appeared to have fixed the problem but now the same light is on, again. All other lights are functioning as expected. I'm not much good at electrical troubleshooting, but I can handle basic tests with a multimeter. Any idea where to start and what to look for? Thanks.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I recently inherited a '73 GMC half-ton pickup, and one of the taillights is always on, draining the battery. I replaced the switch for the lights, and initially it appeared to have fixed the problem but now the same light is on, again. All other lights are functioning as expected. I'm not much good at electrical troubleshooting, but I can handle basic tests with a multimeter. Any idea where to start and what to look for? Thanks.
sounds like a short to power or your brake switch is being held on possibly in some way. but it only does one? does pressing the pedal do both?

MN73GMC

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Thanks. I did some testing as you suggested, and the other taillight is only lit when the lights are on - no brake light or turn signal. The taillight that is always on also feels oddly warm to me to the touch. It seems hotter than it should be.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Disconnect the turn signal switch from the base of the steering column, see if the light goes out.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
GROUNDS!!! Clean them all.

MN73GMC

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well that is an interesting test - as suggested I disconnected the wire harness at the bottom of the steering column, and now both of the taillights go on and off as they should. The truck was my dad's, and my mom just mentioned to me that he recently had the steering column replaced - maybe that's related. So the fact that disconnecting that harness allowed the taillights to work correctly, what does exactly that indicate? Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'd happily clean all the grounds if I at all knew where they were.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The hazard lights circuit is powered at all times, they are on the purple wire in the turn signal connector. It’s sounds as if that particular taillight is somehow getting power from the hazard circuit. Disconnecting the turn signal connector isolates the taillights from that power source.

That’s my theory.

Get a replacement switch, plug it in and see if the light works correctly. If so, it’s time to tear apart the column.

MN73GMC

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Great, thanks. At least now the battery won't die on me and I can get the truck home next week where I can take my time with it. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD