Swapping out idiot lights for gauges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coyoteslayer75

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
383 stroker
I have an 86 k10 and I'm wanting to put a new gauge set in the dashboard. Can this be done with a simple wire job? Or will the gauges operate on there own once hooked up? Not by any means am i an electrician let alone tachs and temp and oil pressure. I believe the speedo will be run off my 98 nv4500 electronically? Any suggestions will help!:headbang:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Temp will need a different senser

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Change from an alternator/battery light to system voltage indicator requires some wiring changes:

You must be registered for see images attach

Low oil pressure warning light to oil pressure gauge gets a little involved. In a non-gauge equipped truck there is one oil pressure sender (behind the distributor). It has two functions;

1. Illuminates the dash warning light when engine lube oil pressure is low. It alarms upon falling at (about) 10 psi.

2. Provides power to the electric choke heater as soon as oil pressure is established. Closes upon rising at (about) 10 psi.

Trucks with gauges require 2 oil presssure senders - a on/off type that closes at 10 psi and a variable 0-60 type. Both are mounted on the brass 90 behind the distributor.

The first one is the same sender as used in non-gauge applications. Like the non-gauge trucks, it powers the electric choke heater and illuminates a dash warning. But in low oil pressure situations the lamp that lights up on the instrument panel says "CHOKE" not "OIL PRESSURE".

The 0-60 sender provides a variable resistance to ground and is used by the oil pressure gauge.

A couple of images:

The bell shaped sender is for the variable one for the gauge and has only one lead. The one on the drivers side is the on/off switch type that supplies the choke heater and the CHOKE warning light (or in your current situation the LOW OIL PRESSSURE lamp).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you need an electric speedo for your swap, you should start with a cluster from an '90-'91 Burb/Blazer/Crew Cab, and wire in the correct plug for that.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
87 pickup or suburban is the same squarebody dash and will swap across but it will still need some wiring done.
The speedo is electronic,suburbans goes to at least 90 and will also fit.
After the square bodies went TBI the speedo`s was electronic.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
87 pickup or suburban is the same squarebody dash and will swap across but it will still need some wiring done.
The speedo is electronic,suburbans goes to at least 90 and will also fit.
After the square bodies went TBI the speedo`s was electronic.

Nope, they were cable speedo all the way through the '89 model year. The TBI gets it's signal from a speed sensor on the back of the speedo.

coyoteslayer75

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Lots of good info thanks guys! Any suggestions on gauges as far as quality? I will be buying all new maybe middle of the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe