swapping in a standard trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
So I'd love to swap my auto for a standard trans. I cannot locate any C/k's that have the parts I need. Man, these trucks are getting scarce, parts trucks even more so

Is there any other GM vehicles that can cough up a pedal set or one that might work? Does anyone know if a set from a Camaro or Iraqi-taxi will work? How much higher is the hump on a standard truck than the low hump tunnel?

I don't want to finish my interior if I have to mod the hump etc.

boneheaddoctor

Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So I'd love to swap my auto for a standard trans. I cannot locate any C/k's that have the parts I need. Man, these trucks are getting scarce, parts trucks even more so

Is there any other GM vehicles that can cough up a pedal set or one that might work? Does anyone know if a set from a Camaro or Iraqi-taxi will work? How much higher is the hump on a standard truck than the low hump tunnel?

I don't want to finish my interior if I have to mod the hump etc.
Bumping this up since I've been looking too and not finding ANYTHING out there. Or much info of what else could be made to work. NV4500 swap is cheaper than a 4L80 swap...though I can live with the TH400 if I must. 4.10 gears and 32" tires makes for lousy highway driving when you are getting run over at 65 or 70 and that's winding the 6.2 diesel engine up way too high to suit me as it is.

Last edited:

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
Bump. This idea also has me pondering about the nv4500 swap from my current 700r4.. Hmm.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I just got done with my nv4500 swap. I love it

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Did you have an automatic before?

yes I had a turbo 400, I truly wanted to put an Allison in but that's really expensive stuff

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
First you need to decide if you're going with a manual Z bar clutch linkage system or a Hydro system using a master and slave cylinder.

Once you know which set of clutch pedals you need, post a Wanted ad.
@RetroC10Sport seems to be able to source clutch pedals from time to time. Get with him and find out if he has a set or get on his waiting list of parts.

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
First you need to decide if you're going with a manual Z bar clutch linkage system or a Hydro system using a master and slave cylinder.

Once you know which set of clutch pedals you need, post a Wanted ad.
@RetroC10Sport seems to be able to source clutch pedals from time to time. Get with him and find out if he has a set or get on his waiting list of parts.

Which would be a better clutch for my truck when it's ls swapped/daily driven?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Which would be a better clutch for my truck when it's ls swapped/daily driven?

hydraulic is newer and more reliable.. some would disagree but new vehicles use hydraulics for a reason

JRandle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado
Engine Size
hydraulic is newer and more reliable.. some would disagree but new vehicles use hydraulics for a reason

Makes sense. I guess I just need to figure out prices on both of em..

Sherrow74

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can you run an np203 with an nv4500

Rule_So_Hard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size

While this is 100% true my personal beef is that they feel sloppy. Look at performance machines that rely on clutch feel and performance such as dirt bikes, they always run mechanical clutches.

It is also populer in many motorcycles to swap out for a mechanical clutch.

But these are applications that that particular setup accels in. In everyday driving the hydraulic clutch has less moving parts and IMO is easier to install.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you've ever drag raced a manual transmission, you'll KNOW that Z bar manual linkage is the way to go. When I drove a couple other race cars for buddies that were also Muncie 4 speeds with Hurst Competition shifters, which is what my truck had, but with a Z bar set up, I was able to float the clutch and actually spit the slave cylinder piston out the slave cylinder. Especially on a close ratio trans with a low gear ratio rear end. The clutch hasn't even completely returned home before you're trying to get another gear, therefore you've lost the race. Of course that is some side stepping and some FAST shifting to do that, but it can be done.

That being said, past drag racing, the hydro is better for several reasons. I was looing for Z bar linkage clutch for my K10/20 build. Some good valid points were made about the hydro, and yes, I did certainly change my mind. When it comes to lift kits, the linkage is going to be a problem where as with hydro, a longer line from the master to the slave and problem is solved. Also routing for off-road headers was a reason, and the biggest thing that convinced me to go hydro in a 4x4, is frame flex. If you're in a reveen or over a rock and need your clutch, the frame is likley to be twisted and that will throw the geometry of the Z bar linkage off big time being that the Z bar is supported and pivots off the frame and the engine block. So for a 4x4, consider hydro as your only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising