Swapping GaugeCluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I want to swap my GM gauge cluster with the big fuel gauge and 85 mph speedometer to a GM gauge cluster with the big RPM and 100 miles mph gauges from about the same model years, Is this this possible and how hard is it. It is 1983 C10

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Depending on cluster. 1979 was the last year for the 100MPH speedometer but some had a ammeter, some had a mechanical oil pressure gauge. If everything is electric and has a voltmeter, then it should swap right in with only wiring the tach.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I too, would like to do this to My 79. The tachometer, I havent found one in the scrapping yards yet.
Now, I`ll have to walk out and see if My speedometer goes to a hunnert.
YES !!!!!!!!!!! and also, I have a spare, setting on the floor, it has a volt meter and a mechanical oil pressure guage and a hundred mile an hour speedometer.
Would the mechanical oil pressure guage be better than the electrical one that is in it now ????

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
It has been said that the mechanical gauges are more accurate but GM is not known for having accurate gauges...ever.

Lehbs

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So was under my hood cleaning a few things up and on my distributor cap, i have an unused clip mount that says TACH on it. on the drivers side there is a position for three clips. i currently am using the quad port that sits right against the cap body, and there is a clip that says pwr, and the one beside it without anything going to it, says tach. would you be able to connect to this with even an aftermarket tach?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Usually the clip that contains the pink wire (BAT/PWR) also has a white wire next to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

As you've already guessed, the connection on the outer socket that is labeled TACH is an impulse signal from the distributor. It can be used to power a tachometer, provide engine speed to the ECM (if applicable) or operate a transmission speed switch - any one of these or a combination of components.

That white wire is how the signal is lead out from the distributor. In my experience, there is always a white wire next to the pink one - maybe yours was pulled out.

But to answer your question, yes - if you connect a lead to the TACH terminal on the outer distributor socket it will allow you to run a tachometer.

Unless the truck came with a tach, it (the impulse signal from the distributor) won't be run to the dash. But the installation of an aftermarket tach is easy.

See figure "C" below. It shows the wiring connections for a common Autogage tach to a GM HEI distributor:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88chevy