swapping doors power/manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curbstone mech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
My current doors are manual. The truck came with a new spare repop passenger door. Ive decided to use it since its just taking up space. My drivers door has a dent that the PO tried to fix. I found a nice drivers door at the junk yard but its a power door. I need help deciding whether to make both doors power or make the power door manual.Just wondering how difficult both options are. Appreciate any thoughts!
Sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't find it when I searched.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Easiest way to get power windows and locks is swap the whole door

Lot easier than trying to install it in the old door

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My current doors are manual. The truck came with a new spare repop passenger door. Ive decided to use it since its just taking up space. My drivers door has a dent that the PO tried to fix. I found a nice drivers door at the junk yard but its a power door. I need help deciding whether to make both doors power or make the power door manual.Just wondering how difficult both options are. Appreciate any thoughts!
Sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't find it when I searched.

If you have a good LH door (pre-loaded with PW/PL), I would consider upgrading the RH door to power as well. Running the RH section of the harness (through the A pillar, flexible conduit and then to the switches/motors) is way easier than doing the same thing on the LH side.

Be sure to get the entire PW/PL harness. It consists of 3 sections. Also get the PL relay.

Marcoman

Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
If you have a good LH door (pre-loaded with PW/PL), I would consider upgrading the RH door to power as well. Running the RH section of the harness (through the A pillar, flexible conduit and then to the switches/motors) is way easier than doing the same thing on the LH side.

Be sure to get the entire PW/PL harness. It consists of 3 sections. Also get the PL relay.

Hey I know this is an old thread but the relay is something GM specific or can I find it anywhere that has competent people/stock to help me with the correct stuff? The reason I ask is I'm picking up two power doors for my '84 GMC with (damaged) manual doors and haven't done any wiring before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120