Swap out my 6.2 Diesel for a 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
I've tried the search but it does NOT come up with anything... I'm sure someone here has either done this or has known someone that has.

I'm trying to gather all the info I can to put together a engine swap. I will be removing my 6.2 and droping in a 454. My truck is a 87 V20 4X4 with a th400.

Anyone have a parts list on what all is needed for this engine swap?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just replace the 6.2 with a running 454. not sure about motor mounts...but you will likely need a different throttle cable at least, and dont forget to flush the fuel tank(s). i think most are using the fuel solenoid wire to supply power to the ignition system.
once you decide whether or not you want EFI or Carb, it will be easier to figure out what you will need.

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
Just replace the 6.2 with a running 454. not sure about motor mounts...but you will likely need a different throttle cable at least, and dont forget to flush the fuel tank(s). i think most are using the fuel solenoid wire to supply power to the ignition system.
once you decide whether or not you want EFI or Carb, it will be easier to figure out what you will need.

I will be going with a carb. So for the throttle cabe, can I just get one for a 85 or 86 truck with a 454 ?? Do I need any special brackets for the cable?

What about a set of headers ?? Who makes a decent set that will be a bolt in set that won't give me any problems?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yep, that should work just fine...grab the throttle cable bracket from the intake manifold too. Any headers should work, you may have to modify your exhaust a littl going from diesel to gas, dementionally, i dont know if there is a length difference or not on the primary downpipes.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Replace the torque convertor because I think the diesel version has a crazy low stall speed. You can use the big diesel radiator, but you will probably have to adapt the hoses.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
The torque covnerter at minimum, But i thought the diesel trans had something different internally. I cant remember what it is.

I wouldnt worry about dropping the tank, Just drain them as low as you can and refill with gas, A little diesel in the tank wont hurt as long as its less than a couple gallons or so.

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
The torque covnerter at minimum, But i thought the diesel trans had something different internally. I cant remember what it is.

solenoid and converter is all, otherwise a direct fit. Swapped my 700 for a 400 from a gasser without issue.

I wouldnt worry about dropping the tank, Just drain them as low as you can and refill with gas, A little diesel in the tank wont hurt as long as its less than a couple gallons or so.

I agree with Camo here, with one note: With factory 16/20 gal tank(s), no more than a gallon, else you run the chance of blowing a piston or rings, in the least, or blowing off the heads, at worst. Spent diesel has a much higher expansion ratio than gasoline, and burns hotter. You may experience pop, ping and a whole myriad of noises/feelings, and smoke, from the motor until it is spent, IMO. And that's if your ignition is hot enough to burn it off (takes lots of heat and pressure to burn off all the diesel).. otherwise you'll be gumming up your system, even your Carb jets wont like it.
Also, the carbon left over from spent diesel, and liquid from unspent diesel, can foul up the plugs, as well.
Remember, One gallon of diesel contains approximately 147,000 BTUs of energy, while a gallon of gasoline only has 125,000 BTUs. This may not seem like alot, but if you leave a few gallons of diesel in the tank, swap the motor, fire it up and romp on it... you're pumping quite a bit of force on components that may or may not be able to handle the force and heat that's being fed to it.

I don't mean to rag on this point, but I've seen the ill effects of mixed fuels (diesel in gas, specifically) on gassers. Knowledge is King.

My questions is: what vin code 6.2 are you pulling? (if its a J, it will be the only J in the vin) and what are you planning on doing with it?
<<Looking for another 6.2J complete

Last edited:

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
solenoid and converter is all, otherwise a direct fit. Swapped my 700 for a 400 from a gasser without issue.

I agree with Camo here, with one note: With factory 16/20 gal tank(s), no more than a gallon, else you run the chance of blowing a piston or rings, in the least, or blowing off the heads, at worst. Spent diesel has a much higher expansion ratio than gasoline, and burns hotter. You may experience pop, ping and a whole myriad of noises/feelings, and smoke, from the motor until it is spent, IMO. And that's if your ignition is hot enough to burn it off (takes lots of heat and pressure to burn off all the diesel).. otherwise you'll be gumming up your system, even your Carb jets wont like it.
Also, the carbon left over from spent diesel, and liquid from unspent diesel, can foul up the plugs, as well.
Remember, One gallon of diesel contains approximately 147,000 BTUs of energy, while a gallon of gasoline only has 125,000 BTUs. This may not seem like alot, but if you leave a few gallons of diesel in the tank, swap the motor, fire it up and romp on it... you're pumping quite a bit of force on components that may or may not be able to handle the force and heat that's being fed to it.

I don't mean to rag on this point, but I've seen the ill effects of mixed fuels (diesel in gas, specifically) on gassers. Knowledge is King.

My questions is: what vin code 6.2 are you pulling? (if its a J, it will be the only J in the vin) and what are you planning on doing with it?
<<Looking for another 6.2J complete

Yes It is the 6.2J. My plans are to round up all the parts I need to do the swap,. Alond with getting my 454 rebuilt then do the swap over a weekend. But with my luck I'm sure I will run into some snags and it will take me a week or two.

My engine is at the machine shop. They just called me yesterday and told me I have one cracked head. So this build isn't starting out so well. At least everything else checked out ok.

What do you think my 6.2 is worth ? The truck only has 82,000 original miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6905.jpg
    IMG_6905.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_6906.jpg
    IMG_6906.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 537

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
Burner to a gasser.. Im'a go cry now :p

Yes It is the 6.2J. My plans are to round up all the parts I need to do the swap,. Alond with getting my 454 rebuilt then do the swap over a weekend. But with my luck I'm sure I will run into some snags and it will take me a week or two.

My engine is at the machine shop. They just called me yesterday and told me I have one cracked head. So this build isn't starting out so well. At least everything else checked out ok.

What do you think my 6.2 is worth ? The truck only has 82,000 original miles on it.

Ugh I'd hate to see that beautiful burner get swapped to a gasser (just a personal thing :p .) Honestly, I have a tendency to offend people when I make offers.. I can tell you what a crate 6.2 will cost, but that's a hard comparison lol. Though, if the price is right.. you'll find me on your doorstep (ill make the trip for a J-burner)..
I will tell you this: If you decide the 454 is going to be too much hassle, and you want more Umph out of that 6.2, find a 3.8l supercharged Pontiac. The supercharger is a damn near direct fit to the 6.2 J's intake (need to weld up a bracket, replace the Air intake resonator bracket with it).. adds avg. 20# boost.. noticeable difference.
Good luck on either route you take.. gorgeous truck btw
:patriot:
~Sun

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ugh I'd hate to see that beautiful burner get swapped to a gasser (just a personal thing :p .) Honestly, I have a tendency to offend people when I make offers.. I can tell you what a crate 6.2 will cost, but that's a hard comparison lol. Though, if the price is right.. you'll find me on your doorstep (ill make the trip for a J-burner)..
I will tell you this: If you decide the 454 is going to be too much hassle, and you want more Umph out of that 6.2, find a 3.8l supercharged Pontiac. The supercharger is a damn near direct fit to the 6.2 J's intake (need to weld up a bracket, replace the Air intake resonator bracket with it).. adds avg. 20# boost.. noticeable difference.
~Sun

Really? I've never heard of that before. Have a link to a how-to or something?

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
~Sun

Thanks, and don't worry about offending me really it wouldn't. I'd really just like to know what is not out of line. Next weekend I'm going to a swap meet and I'm thinking of addvertising my 6.2 with it still in my truck so people can see and hear it run. But I really don't have any idea what it's worth???

Everyone I talk to says the 6.2 is a worthless turd. I guess I will look up the 6.2 crate and get an idea of what a fresh 6.2 is going for. I really didn't know a guy could buy a crate 6.2 ??

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
Crate 6.2

Thanks, and don't worry about offending me really it wouldn't. I'd really just like to know what is not out of line. Next weekend I'm going to a swap meet and I'm thinking of addvertising my 6.2 with it still in my truck so people can see and hear it run. But I really don't have any idea what it's worth???

Everyone I talk to says the 6.2 is a worthless turd. I guess I will look up the 6.2 crate and get an idea of what a fresh 6.2 is going for. I really didn't know a guy could buy a crate 6.2 ??

I should specify: The "Crate" 6.2 is a Military crate, typically as overstock/"piled" military crates for the CUCVs and older Humvees.

Some are New, never run Detroit cast, and typically packed with spare parts (like IPs, Water Pumps, Heads, Valve kits and the like). Normally, they are "Runners"... pulled from wrecks, or as Testers.
They are getting harder to find, however, still available from Norfolk or JB Lewis-McChord, I've seen a few come out of Texas (Hood) as well.
The unfortunate side is, that typically, you either have to know/blow someone on post to get on board to purchase (Go to the motorpool, if post MPs will let you, and talk to the MotorPool commander.. DONT go to the PC [Post Commander]). If you're lucky, you could grab a Runner (Complete running truck.. though, you will be behind the Air Force and Artillery outfits [they use old trucks/equipment for target practice] in purchasing order.

Otherwise, you have to go through a (licensed by the Feds/DoD) Auction house. Though, even with this latter route, can be an inexpensive way to go. They're also a great way to go for spare (typically hardened and reinforced parts).

As a reference, you can pick up a "Crate" 6.2 from the Mil-auctions for average $650. Parts kits (gaskets w/ pistons, pumps, etc) were averaging $275-400. When true-blue "Crates" that were cast and never run/installed were still available (less than 2 yrs ago) from most crate houses, you were looking at 2500-4k with warranties.

Another to consider would be a Military "Crate" 6.5. These are easily picked up, can be n/a or turbo, and are definitely stout motors. Check out these links for 6.5 crates, and 6.2+6.5 performance parts: http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/ http://www.dieselservices.com/, and for great information on the 6.2s and .5s http://www.thedieselpage.com/
~Sun

Last edited:

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
Yeah I'm not wanting to buy another diesel, mine runs just fine. I just don't care for the smell, sound or performance of the engine.

Going from a 06 LBZ to a 6.2J is not impressive at all. I only bought this truck because it is so clean. There is nothing I could do to this 6.2 to even come close to what my LBZ was. Even if their is, the cost of a performance 6.2 build would be over the top compared to a BBC budget build.

I've had several 454's over the years and I love them. In my opinion a healthy BBC is the next best thing in a heavy truck then the Duramax.

Back to what my 6.2 would be worth? I was maybe thinking someone might be more interested if I addvertised with it still in my truck. That way they could hear it run and know it was a good running engine. I was thinking somewhere around $500 to $800 for it. But maybe NOT ???????????????

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
Yeah I'm not wanting to buy another diesel, mine runs just fine. I just don't care for the smell, sound or performance of the engine.

Going from a 06 LBZ to a 6.2J is not impressive at all. I only bought this truck because it is so clean. There is nothing I could do to this 6.2 to even come close to what my LBZ was. Even if their is, the cost of a performance 6.2 build would be over the top compared to a BBC budget build.

I've had several 454's over the years and I love them. In my opinion a healthy BBC is the next best thing in a heavy truck then the Duramax.

Back to what my 6.2 would be worth? I was maybe thinking someone might be more interested if I addvertised with it still in my truck. That way they could hear it run and know it was a good running engine. I was thinking somewhere around $500 to $800 for it. But maybe NOT ???????????????

If I was in your neck of the woods, I'd pick it up for that - even help pull it.
Having it running in the truck would be your best bet for advertising, in my opinion. I'm the type that tends to shy from "Running motor, sounds great, great mpg, plenty of power... sitting on my shop floor". If I can see/hear/drive a block before putting down green, I'll have no hesitation.. even if it requires me putting a little elbow grease in.
~Sun

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz