Subwoofer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Huh... the 10-inch unit is cheaper than the 8-inch. So far, your set-up is the best executed to me and what I would want it for. I was thinking a sub like yours, 6x9's in the rear corners, kick panel speakers, and maybe an updated speaker in my original location.

Thanks! Yeah, the 10 inch is 70% as much as the 8 inch. Sometimes the real money goes into making something smaller.

If you have that many sound sources, you are going to have phase issues all over. Basically, the problem is that at some frequencies the closer speaker and the farther speaker will cancel, at other frequencies they will add. You could be doing a lot of extra work to get mushy and peaky sound.

I really like the Kicker 4" speakers in the Highliner headliner. Like wearing headphones, except they're legal. I have the DS ones on FRONT, and the PS ones on REAR, so I can fader out the other side when I am alone. The speakers are so close to your ear -- maybe 6"-8" -- that neither they or the amp are ever straining, so distortion is very low. You hear the full stereo effect. And at that range, 4" is all you need outside of the bass ranges.

Together with the clean sound from that subwoofer, this setup is really crystal clear and tight.

You must be registered for see images attach

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks! Yeah, the 10 inch is 70% as much as the 8 inch. Sometimes the real money goes into making something smaller.

If you have that many sound sources, you are going to have phase issues all over. Basically, the problem is that at some frequencies the closer speaker and the farther speaker will cancel, at other frequencies they will add. You could be doing a lot of extra work to get mushy and peaky sound.

Thank you that explanation! I really understand about as much as a mouses turd when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is a good thing I am not looking to put something together soon.

I really like the Kicker 4" speakers in the Highliner headliner. Like wearing headphones, except they're legal. I have the DS ones on FRONT, and the PS ones on REAR, so I can fader out the other side when I am alone. The speakers are so close to your ear -- maybe 6"-8" -- that neither they or the amp are ever straining, so distortion is very low. You hear the full stereo effect. And at that range, 4" is all you need outside of the bass ranges.

Together with the clean sound from that subwoofer, this setup is really crystal clear and tight.

A little off topic, what is holding your Highliner up? Did your truck have interior trim from the factory? I am not looking to get one, just curious.

Last edited:

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I bought a cheap pioneer setup with 2 12s and fit them behind the seat. I built a box to fit the space and they sound pretty good. I would like to go back with shallow subs soon because I did lose 1 click on my seat and I need that click! It's not horrible but I'd like to have the extra leg room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 417

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you that explanation! I really understand about as much as a mouses turd when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is a good thing I am not looking to put something together soon.

A little off topic, what is holding your Highliner up? Did your truck have interior trim from the factory? I am not looking to get one, just curious.

The Highliner headliner is held up by the interior trim pieces.

The thing with stereo sound is that you want two sources, one left and one right, preferably equidistant from your head. Think headphones. Or two speakers, one on either side of your TV. You can get away with a subwoofer in a different location because at those frequencies, the wavelength is so long (tens of feet) that, measured in wavelengths, they are all in the same location. That's why you only need one subwoofer in a stereo setup; there is no left or right. When you see multiple big speaker arrays, like on a concert stage, they are further from the listener than the distance between them, so they sound like one source.

But putting multiple speakers all over the place in a truck cab will sound like complete crap compared to two good sources, one for each channel. It will be peaky and mushy, and it will be impossible to get speakers in multiple sizes that voice the same.

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size

I love your build

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I love your build

Gosh, thanks. I spent four years just continuously changing what I didn't like. I did all new parts, not used: new seats, new tanks, new engine. About a year ago I ran out of stuff to do. I put a ton of money in it, more than it's worth, but it's the way I wanted it and it's not like I'm gonna sell it. I'm gonna wear it out!

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I posted it 4 years ago today, in fact. On another site, but hopefully I'll be forgiven. Here it is:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...iew-how-pics-subwoofer-install-oobs-rcsb.html

Of course, they're small enough you could always use two, one behind each passenger....

Since you have had the headliner installed a while now, have you had any problems with rattles or anything? I thought about buying one but was afraid it might rattle or squeak. I love the way your setup looks though.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, no problems at all. It was actually in it when I bought it, so I suspect it was put in in 1998 when the truck was rebuilt (and then sat in the owner's collection for 12 years). I did get rid of the POS speakers that came with the Highliner and put in the Kickers, though.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What model Kicker speakers did you install?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks, getting ready to order the highliner, speaker kick panels and a-pillars with the tweeters. I'm planing to replace all the speakers and tweets because I am sure they are junk.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You put all those speakers all over and it's going to sound like mud, you know that, don't you?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I see what your saying about phasing. My audio expert says differently. He said he could phase them correctly. We shall see.

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
People need to realize too that large subs do not equal better sound. A smaller sub in a smaller area will give better output than a large sub in a smaller area.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
People need to realize too that large subs do not equal better sound. A smaller sub in a smaller area will give better output than a large sub in a smaller area.

That's the truth. I had 2 kicker 15s in custom boxes running on a 2000w amp and there were guys with pairs of 10s that sounded way better. Those 15s never did sound good. Also, I hate rap music so that probably played a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk