Suburban Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:grd: Can't wait to see this write up with befroe and after pics.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't have a rolling pin, I should be fine spreading it on by hand, I mean you don;t have to stretch it or anything right? I am attacking this shortly. :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Fak me, do I really need to spray the headliner too? Not just the board? I am doing this solo, if I spray that headliner and try to put it on I can see it being a disaster. I know what I can do, how about I lay the headliner felt down on the table, spray the board and the liner, then lay the board onto the headliner? :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes you do. If you don't spray both, then don't even bother doing it all. It won't work if you spray one side only. I found out the hard way. I called my daughter and told her this **** is junk, and then she said, DAD, Read the directions, you have to spray both sides. So I did and it worked great. You spray both, let is set up for about 5 minutes, then stick it. Be careful when you do stick it, cuz once you do, it doesn't move much and allow much time, so you pretty much want to lay it where you want it and that's final. If not, peel it back off before I dries to much, then re apply the adhesive, wait the 5 minutes and try again.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes you do. If you don't spray both, then don't even bother doing it all. It won't work if you spray one side only. I found out the hard way. I called my daughter and told her this **** is junk, and then she said, DAD, Read the directions, you have to spray both sides. So I did and it worked great. You spray both, let is set up for about 5 minutes, then stick it. Be careful when you do stick it, cuz once you do, it doesn't move much and allow much time, so you pretty much want to lay it where you want it and that's final. If not, peel it back off before I dries to much, then re apply the adhesive, wait the 5 minutes and try again.

You think I'll be ok laying the board onto the headliner instead of the other way? Will I be able to flip it over right away to smooth it out, like tacky enough it won't fall off when I flip it over?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You think I'll be ok laying the board onto the headliner instead of the other way? Will I be able to flip it over right away to smooth it out, like tacky enough it won't fall off when I flip it over?

:shrug: I think I'd be afraid to do it that way. I know yours is much bigger than mine, but I laid mine out in the driveaway. Headliner board facing up, back of the headliner facing up. Then I started at one end with my hand under the material with a fold, and brought it over the top a few inches at a time, smoothing it out and stretching just a little as I laid on to keep any wrinkles out. Basically worked about 6-8 inches of material at a time til I got the end. Slow and tedious buddy. Yours is bigger, I can see where some help would be great to have.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok, I'll see how it goes, I can do a couple of dry practice runs before I break the glue out. Let ya know.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is that fuggin badazz or what???

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That kicked my ass, I am sore as ****, but very happy with it. I need to find a way to support the rear headliner at the back of the truck. The A/C housing I took out held it up before. Need to getva bow from pull a part I guess.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
Nice job! When i did mine i had one little wrinkle in the fabric but it still looks great.

The worst part was holding the rear section up while putting the trim back up.

I laid on my back and held the liner up with my feet and put the screws in at the same time, Being 6`4 helped alot in doing that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wow!!!! Very nice job dude!!!! :waytogo: I like it :)

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Looks good... :waytogo: I need to do this to mine soon....

snowpro90

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
Nice job! I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1