Stumbles shifting into 2nd while heavy into the throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
to build it right, it does cost a good bit. I did a comparison sheet and showed cost of about $200 to do all the stuff I do on each build, for only slightly more. Good parts aren't cheap, and cheap parts cost you more in the long run. Stay away from the parts store kit junk!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
to build it right, it does cost a good bit. I did a comparison sheet and showed cost of about $200 to do all the stuff I do on each build, for only slightly more. Good parts aren't cheap, and cheap parts cost you more in the long run. Stay away from the parts store kit junk!!

I was going to call Cliff for the rebuild kit. Last week I sent him an email with info on my current setup, except I didn't have the carb number at the time I sent the email. He responded saying to get the number and call him and they will put together a kit specifically for my application. I need to find a manual for this specific carb too so I can fine tune it. I am excited to learn all I can about this carb and how make it perform really well.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
And Mark, I appreciate all the info you have provided on where to get a solid kit, and for offering to rebuild mine. I was going to send it to you, but I really want to gain some knowledge about my carb, so I am going to tackle the rebuild myself.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Hey, glad to help. I'll help people build their own, I just want to be the one to build it if you send it off. And I sure want to keep people from tossing a Qjet aside and getting some parts store Eddy carb!!!!

Cliff's book has great information also, so grab that from Amazon on somewhere.

Cliff will also walk through it with you for all the specific parts you may need. Tell him I sent you.

link to my comparison of "Kit" to complete build. This list off a bunch of stuff you don't get in a kit. https://www.dropbox.com/s/whtnhe67vqvd42l/Quadrajet Power Pricing comparison.pdf?dl=0

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Definitely will never get an Eddie or a Holley. The only edelbrok product I own is a performer intake and it sits outside collecting dust. The only holley product I own is a box that my quadrajet came in from LMC Truck.

You're rebuild prices are not bad considering all you do. You must get awesome deals on kits or just have the parts available.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Got some factory manuals for my carb and bought Cliff Ruggles qjet book, and placed an order with Cliff for my carb.

Took my 12 year old pup for a ride yesterday and the idle was higher than it should be. Got home and adjusted it down except it didn't drop. It did allow both mixture screws to work when before the passenger side adjustment was the only one I had. Got those adjusted but the idle won't settle down. Took it for a spin and the falling on its face is gone, but idle is way high. Can't wait to rebuild this carb and start with a fresh carb.

I also need to pull the distributor and rotate it a tooth clockwise. A few tweaks and it should be running good again.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A distributor doesn't know where it's placed... Just make sure your timing is right where the engine likes it. :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
A distributor doesn't know where it's placed... Just make sure your timing is right where the engine likes it. :)

For sure. I prefer it to be straight sitting back there, not a tooth off to make it sit with the wire connections a little back. When I get everything redone I am going to try it at around 16* instead of 10* just for ***** and giggles.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Awesome! Give it a shot.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I dug out an old carb I got from my brother's truck about 10 years ago. It came off an 85 and it isn't computer controlled so I bought a carb kit for it. Rebuilt it, installed it on the truck and saw the vacuum ports were a smidge different but they would work. But the missing part from the throttle shaft for the cable caused me to have to rebuild the carb that came on the truck. Around midnight I finished it up.

About an hour ago I got it installed. It's nice to have a working choke and fast idle. Was definitely happy about that. Let it run for a while to get warm enough to do the final adjustments. I noticed some of the symptoms I observed before the rebuild. Idle would not stay consistent from one throttle burst to another, idle mixture screws were minimally effective, and I know I have all good vacuum lines because I went over all of them and rerouted them. So I adjusted the idle mixture screws one more time and it started to idle smoothly. Great, that is what I wanted.

Was going to go for a test drive. Put my foot on the brake pedal and I hear hissing. Okay, I checked the connection at the back of the carb for the booster, all is tight. Press the pedal again, hissing and the engine stumbles. Let off the brake, the engine smooths out. Press the pedal, hissssss, and engine stumble.

So I went to the parts store for a booster. They asked which system I have, JB6 or JB7. I have no idea. I asked him what the difference is, he didn't know. I came back and checked the stickers on the door, the sticker in the glove box, and the stickers under the hood. Nothing indicates which system is on the truck. Do any of you know the difference between a JB6 and a JB7 brake system on these trucks?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got Heavy duty brakes?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I am going to say yes, it is a Camper Special with the 8,600 badge on the cab.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Heavy duty is jb7

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Right on, thanks.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No prob. Here's something I copied from another site
JB8 is the heavy duty one-ton brakes, 9000-10000 GVWR. It has a master cylinder with a 1 5/16" bore.

JB7 is the light-duty one-ton and heavy-duty 3/4-ton brakes, 6600-8200 GVWR. Master here has a 1 1/4" bore.

JB6 looks like the light-duty 3/4 ton and heavy-duty 1/2 ton, with a 1 1/8" bore master.

Note that when switching masters, you gotta switch boosters to match.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub