Stuck spring and shackle bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shamrock Motors

Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am trying to take the rear out of my 86 K10. The rear leaf spring bolts came out pretty easy but the front bolts , of the rear leaf springs, closest to the cab wont budge. Any one know of a solution ?

luecke83

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just installed a lift on my truck and the front spring pockets for the real leafs were full of dirt. The nut on the bolt was rusted down bad enough a wrench would not fit on it. I just ended up torching the head of the bolt and the nut off and replacing them.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is a trick someone taught me when it comes to seized bolts in bushings.

Take the nut off and then cut the bolt head as clean as possible. Then take a few washer and put the nut back on and tighten down the nut.

You will probably be best using a impact gun but a breaker bar can work too. You will need to keep stacking washers but eventually it will pull out.

I just had to do this for my shock bolts and rear hangar bolts on my truck putting in a shackle flip.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Here is a trick someone taught me when it comes to seized bolts in bushings.

Take the nut off and then cut the bolt head as clean as possible. Then take a few washer and put the nut back on and tighten down the nut.

You will probably be best using a impact gun but a breaker bar can work too. You will need to keep stacking washers but eventually it will pull out.

I just had to do this for my shock bolts and rear hangar bolts on my truck putting in a shackle flip.

Nice! Anti-seize the bolt threads too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man