Strong gas odor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Doc

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305 0.30 over mild cam
Thanks again. The pics really help to understand your comment. I will be getting on this asap.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Whenever I get a strong gas smell in the truck, it always turns out to be an old rubber hose that is seeping fuel. The old hoses were not designed for fuel with ethanol belnds and they don't hold up very well.

On trucks with dual tanks there are really a lot of short rubber hoses. There is usually three at each gas tank sending unit, six at the fuel solenoid, two at the fuel pump, and one running to the vapor canister. The fuel feed and fuel return are usually the source of leaks.

I'm gradually replacing my fuel hoses with SAE J30R9 spec fuel injection hose. The newer hose is rated for ethanol blend and should hold up much better. The most challenging hoses to replace are those running to the gas tank sending units, since there is really not enough clearance unless I drop the tank down or raise the bed up.

SAE J30R7 hose should also work, and its a little cheaper. However, all this new hose is way more expensive (about $7/foot for J30R9 at the store).

Bruce

Steve Doc

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305 0.30 over mild cam
Thanks Brian, yet another possible cause would be those hoses, and I can live with the cost as long as the problem goes away and I'll be checking them along with the other helpful tips I've received. But my gut feeling is leaning towards engine bay. I got in the truck this morning and it was like getting into the gas tank itself. A bit exaggerated but not far off.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I rebuilt my carb couple years ago, but managed to pinch the gasket where the fuel filter is in the side of the carb and didn't catch it. It didn't leak for a year or more, but started this summer. Kept smelling gas but didn't see an obvious leak. Long story short, had to feel under the fuel filter for wet gas at the carb connection. Replaced the gasket there and all is well.

Steve Doc

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305 0.30 over mild cam
I'll remember that when I replace mine. Thanks for responding.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
But my gut feeling is leaning towards engine bay. I got in the truck this morning and it was like getting into the gas tank itself. A bit exaggerated but not far off.

You might want to check the fuel pump weep hole - if it has one. A mechanical fuel pump can have a ruptured diaphragm and yet most times will still deliver sufficient gas to run the engine.

Steve Doc

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305 0.30 over mild cam
I can raise the bed this weekend to check that. You've given me (along with others) a decent checklist. The hits just keep on comming! Ha

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
Does that carb have the old paper floats in it.if so the floats soak up old nasty gas and get heavy.floats begin to.make the carb run rich.so while sitting.gas could be leaking down in to your motor.the floats.will not turn off the gas.

New floats.or a edleblock 600 or 650.carb.electric choke.

Steve Doc

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305 0.30 over mild cam
That's something I wasn't aware of. I'll have to get in there and have a look. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08