Streetable locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85SWB

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm currently restoring a 85 k10 with a 14bff rear and 35s. This truck is going to go offroad but it's also going to be a daily driver. I've started researching what locker I want in the back but i can't decide. I've looked at detroit, eaton, and auburn pro. The detroit seems like it is too extreme for my application.

What are the pros and cons of eaton? auburn? Is there a better locker i haven't mentioned?

ARB is just too expensive..

thanks

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
But a little cheaper than the ARB air locker is the Eaton E-locker. Rear end will lock up with a push of a button. Need to run wires inside the differential. But do not need an air compressor.

Or for less than that the Eaton Truetrac. This will provide perfect street manners... you won't even know it is there. They just started making it for the 14 bolt. There are no clutches to wear out. No need to use any gear oil friction additive. They do say just run regular gear oil (not synthetic).

I have the detroit locker in the back of mine (technically called the Eaton NoSpin now). Not horrible in the city on pavement- but need to change driving style and always just try to coast thru corners. Changing throttle quickly will result in a clunk and possibly squealing the inside tire. I probably wouldn't recommend one for a daily driver. Yukon Grizzly makes is a very similar version. Some say it is slightly stronger. Since it is locked most of the time it is important to keep tire sizes the same on the left vs the right. This means watching air pressure or how evenly you load the truck.

I have the truetrac in the front axle. I love it- I can still steer and provides excellent traction.

I had the auburn pro in my old truck. I liked it- but got the differential very hot a few times (clutch packs in it get hot when things get rough). The auburn pro was a replacement for a Lock-Right. I hated that thing. MASSIVE clunk/clicking with it engaging. Very "crude" would be the best way to put it. It shattered along with my differential case crossing a creek that had washed out the road. I wasn't even being that rough on it. Guess that is why they are the cheapest option out there.

Guess it depends on what type of off roading you will be doing. Rock crawling with tires up in the air? E locker or detroit locker.
Going thru snow/mud and some hill climbing? E locker or truetrac.

For the best price the best manners as a daily driver and no maintenance I'd say the Truetrac.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You may want to check out the Powertrax No-Slip. It's a limited slip, not a full locker which will work much better for mostly street use. Then you could put a Powertrax Lock-Right in the front which is a full locker and that truck should go anywhere you point it as long as you don't high center.

EDIT just noticed it's a 14b ff, the No-Slip might not be available for that one.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
There is.

FF p/n 92-0705-3000

SF p/n 92-0795-3305

As I've mentioned before, I have a No-Slip in the front and it's flawless. Just last weekend I was hauling twelve people and 500 lbs of gear up some steep trails. If a 3000 pound load plus the weight of the Suburban couldn't kill it, it's plenty stout. Couldn't hear it working even with the windows down.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
First, you might want to know the difference in a Locker, and Posi (limited slip) units. This way you can make up your mind what you want. I prefer a locker and will tolerate the little bit of noise they make.

85SWB

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Researched all that were reccomended and I'm going to look further into a no slip for the back and might put a truetrac up front later down the road. Thanks for the info guys

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I run a Detroit locker in my 14 bolt with 37" tires on the street and the only issue I've had with it is sliding sideways if I push the skinny pedal to hard. Then theres the whole escalation thing, get a locker and then you've got to get bigger tires to take advantage of the extra traction, then you've got to get a winch because none of your friends can get their trucks in to where you got stuck, and then things just start getting rediculess. I still wouldn't trade my locker for anything though.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I run a Detroit locker in my 14 bolt with 37" tires on the street and the only issue I've had with it is sliding sideways if I push the skinny pedal to hard. Then theres the whole escalation thing, get a locker and then you've got to get bigger tires to take advantage of the extra traction, then you've got to get a winch because none of your friends can get their trucks in to where you got stuck, and then things just start getting rediculess. I still wouldn't trade my locker for anything though.

Got a winch, got a locker, now for tires lol. They are the last thing on my list right now. but my 32's are taller that factory, sooooo.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I run factory limited slip in my 14 bolts on the street and rarely have trouble. I have one in each of my wreckers and it's impressive how far they go before I need 4wd. Also there hardly noticable on street driving. My offroad buggy has a detroit in rear and a powertrax in front. They work extreamly well, but both are noisey. In fact there rear is so loud it sounds like a axle breaking when it engages or disengages under load

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yep Yep Yep. That's about how I'd feel. And besides, what's fun about going straight anyway !!! Only sissy trucks can't get sideways when you get on the skinny pedal. Back in the race days, When you were told Take it Easy, you responded with, take it any which way but straight. What we referred to as, Checkin the Posi !!! It's even real cool with a locker, when you get on it and go for your mean 2nd gear scratch, you have a whole different attitude with a locker. When you got your scratch, feel the ass end squat and kick to the right just a little. Nothing uncontrollable but you sure noticed it. I loff loff loff lockers !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man