Headlight, driving lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So here is the deal, I'm not getting any younger and my night vision is getting a little worse. I'm fine on a clear night, but on a rainy winter night, it gets a little harder than it use to be and where there is a lot of on coming traffic it get even worse.

So I guess I've got two questions. First the headlights, it's the single headlight system one on each side. High beams are fine, low beams are lacking and cannot compete with modern on coming lights. I'm currently running Sylvania Xtravisions which are fine for what they are. A touch brighter than regular halogens. I'm not going to LED for headlights but might for driving lights we'll get there in a second. Headlights: I could move up to Sylvania Silverstars, but frankly I don't think that will be enough. I've had them in previous rigs and they are about as bright as the Xvisions they are just a slightly whiter light. So that pretty much leaves me with this. Hella makes a conversion kit part number 003427011 which replaces the headlights with buckets that takes H4 bulbs, which opens up a whole world of different modern bulbs, even if I stuck with a relatively regular halogen which I'd probably switch to the Phillips ultravision or the Silverstar, but it would be a 55W low / 65W high, where as the current 6054's are 35W low / 60W high. And then LMC has similar conversion headlight buckets as well, but they are a little less expensive. I'd really like to hear from anyone that has the LMC or Hella conversion about what they think.

Also Planning to get the LMC relay kit. This seems like a no brainer. It's less than $30 and will only improve the voltage to the headlights, I know some people have complained that some parts of the kit are not really water tight, since I do a fair bit of custom electrical work at the shop, I should be able to improve any weak spots in the kit. I could DIY my own kit no problem, but if nothing less I like the headlight connectors in the kit, if for some reason I need to bypass the kit, plugging back in straight would be easy.

Last driving lights / fog lights. Frankly I'm not sure what I want but can describe what I need. Something to supplement my low beam lights, so I need to not blind other drivers, but something that will improve my ability to see, I'm ok with something so bright that I can't run when there is a car in front of me or coming at me, this would be more something I'd want to use on those heavy rain nights. Truck came with some Peterson driving lights, already installed on it, but there are in bad shape on the inside so not getting any help from them. I had a set of Harbor Freight driving lights on my Jeep at one time, but they were so weak I could not tell the difference with or without them. I'm ok with Halogen, HID or LED for driving lights. Like I said this won't be something I turn on every time it'll be more for extreme conditions. I have to stay under $100, I'd like to stay under $50 if possible, but understand if that's not realistic. I'm ok with something that is not DOT approved. I can get a new set of Peterson's for about $50, they are an H3 halogen, but have really no idea if they are even worth replacing.

Some LED driving lights and fogs I've looked at: One in the below is amber, and I'm open to that idea, but I think I'd rather have clear, I'm open to other brands and suggestions as well.

For halogen:
Hella 550 series is an H3 bulb and looks more period correct than LEDs but not sure about it's effectiveness. Before mentioned HF driving lights took an H3 bulb as well, but I'm sure the reflector in the hella is a better quality.
Peterson still makes the set that are on my truck, they are rectangular and have a chrome housing. I like the look the best as it looks period correct on the chrome bumper, but I prefer function to looks.

Also open to suggestion on the driving lights.

Thanks for the advice.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Since I work nights having good headlights was important to me. I bought the LMC headlight harness first. It did make a difference, but still wasn't good enough. Then I went with the Hella headlight housings. The beam pattern was way better than the stock sealed beams. Since I didn't have any off road lights at the time I went with the 55/100W H4 bulbs. I did this back in 2012.
Problems: I think the 100W high beam was too much for the relays that came with the LMC kit. It worked for probably 3 years then the relays started having problems. When I'd switch to the high beams I'd get the blue indicator lights in the dash but the headlights themselves would shut off. Clicking back to low beam the headlights would turn back on. Pulling over and smacking the relay would then cause the high beams to work again for a month or so again. So I bought a handful of relays and threw them in the glovebox. I'd think if you went with the 55/60W bulbs then they would last longer.
The headlight housings after a few years started looking a big "foggy" inside. If you do a search it seems like this is common since it isn't a fully sealed beam light housing. Some people use some warm distilled water and dish soap to fill the light and swish it around. Then rinse with distilled water. Then pour some isopropyl alcohol in it to clean and dry the housing more. When the housing looked foggy it didn't really seem to affect the light output. Just looked odd when the glass started looking white instead of clear.
The LMC connectors that plug into the headlight prongs were wide open to the elements. Since I spend a lot of time offroad they started getting a bit corroded. I cleaned them last year with some electrical contact cleaner then coated the contacts with a light layer of conductive grease. I just made sure the grease was only on the contacts and not shorting from one contact to the next. This provides protection against water/de-icer and improves the contact. That being said any sort of grease really would do the same.
Can't comment on driving lights. I did get some of those little Rigid cube lights for free doing some electronic work for my brother-in-law's friend. Those are amazing- but more than $100.

Right side Hella headlight on low beam only:
full

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Okay... This is going to be a convoluted reply, but the automotive lighting market has become so fragmented in recent years that it's hard to make it simple, what with all the goofy toy headlights and so many things that used to be made here... now being made in a sweatshop in China.

Unfortunately, that's where we're at with sealed beams. General Electric was the last holdout, shutting down their US sealed beam production in about 2015-16; and with that went the best sealed beam option for your truck, the GE Nighthawk H6054. It has a 55 watt low and 65 watt high, with performance much better than the usual weak-chested 35 watt low beams. They still sell something branded as a Nighthawk H6054, but it's a totally inferior lamp made in China. You can still find the new US made ones on eBay from time to time, but you have to do some digging. Another option was the GE H6054HO (same thing, US made only), which also has a 55 watt low beam. Sylvania's stuff is pretty second rate, as is Wagner, and Philips sold out their sealed beam lineup long ago. One thing for sure, always avoid headlights with blue or purple tint (like Sylvania Silverstar), as any color filter subtracts light from the output, no matter how much the marketing wɑnk tries to hype it up.

The H4/9003 bulb has actually been with us since 1971, so it's pretty old tech now. A stock one has a 55 watt low and 60 watt high beam. Its biggest sin is that it shields the low beam filament, only leaving you with 65% of the reflector and lens to produce a low beam. Still, there are some decent H4 headlights out there. The Hella Vision Plus isn't a stellar lamp, but you could do a hell of a lot worse. I would go with the 003427291, which is a US/DOT beam pattern, as the E-Code 003427011 has too much distance between the low and high beam, so your brights will be too high if the lows are set right, and vice versa.

A relay kit would be a good upgrade, as incandescent bulbs lose a lot of output with even the voltage drop that stock wiring provides. Have you measured voltage at your headlights?

All of those LED light bars that you linked will have poor optics, pretty much barfing light in every direction but where you need it. Fog lights are going to produce too much foreground light to be of use above about 25mph. They're mostly good for grappling your way along at very low speeds in fog or snow. The Hella 550 driving lights might be a decent option, though I can't remember if they're more like a high beam or an auxiliary low. It sounds like you definitely want the latter. I'll do some more digging on those later.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@77 K20 Thanks for info on the hella conversion kit. Looks great on your garage door, so that'll probably be go for me then based on seeing that and your info. Would like to know what bulb your running though.

@Ellie Niner Thanks for all the info. I searched for a 55W low 6054 but could not find one, will look into the possibility of finding the old GE nighthawk, but would probably rather move to the Hella H4 conversion unit. Thanks for the bulb info on that too. I have not measured voltage at the headlights, and I should but you and I both know there will be at least some voltage drop.

What you said about the LED lights I linked was exactly what I was concerned about. I wanted to like them, but feared they would, as you put it "barf light in every direction" A lot of 45 - 55mph country roads, need something mainly for above 25 so fog lights are not what I need then.

If you want to do some digging on something proper to use for auxiliary lows that would be really apricated. I've done a lot of looking myself but don't feel I've found what I would need really except that Hella 550 and a couple other Hellas might work to. But they maybe more for high beam I'm really not sure.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My Hella housings are the round version- and I had the E-code beam pattern as I thought it had the better light output and pattern. (but yours are square, right?)
Bulbs were purchased from Amazon.

HELLA HLA-H83140141 H4 12V 100/55W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Okay. The Hella 550 driving light produces a beam pattern good for use with high beams only. I was going to suggest the Hella XL, as they're a good auxiliary low beam, but they're long discontinued, sh¡t damn.

I'll have some time later this afternoon to look at more stuff... Aux low beams are a useful thing, sort of straddling the line between too low fogs and driving lights that blind oncoming traffic. Wish there were more of them out there.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The old Hella H4 7" replacement/upgrades were a great item, as they had glass lenses. I'm not sure if they still make them.
There are cheaper versions available but they have plastic lenses. If you're having troubles with relays, again make sure they are not
El Cheapo China items.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@77 K20 thanks for the bulb number. I'm unsure at this time what the flavor of choice will be for me but the price is certainly right on those bulbs. Yes, I'm a square eye, two to be exact one on each side that is.

@Ellie Niner I've heard of the hella XL and yea those would be prefect I've even looked for them places like E-bay and just don't see them at all. I will look specifically for auxiliary low beams at some point maybe tonight, then I'll probably want to ask your opinion of whatever I find.

@Dave M They are still glass. I'm not really concerned about the quality of the relays in the LMC kit which BTW I ordered last night. I could make what is needed to run the headlights off of relays but for $30 I went with the kit for speed of install vs making it up myself.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Ellie Niner I have had no luck finding anything currently made that is really an aux low beam light. Question, why can't a driving light designed to supplement high beams, be used to supplement low beams, if aimed lower? Is it because there is no beam cut off and will blind on coming drivers?

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@SirRobyn0 I'm coming up with about the same thing you are... There just isn't anything currently on the market that would be a good at reaching out a bit farther than regular low beams and lighting up the midrange without blinding oncoming traffic... I've played around with automotive lighting quite a bit, and it's really easy to blast light out a half mile ahead when there's no traffic (aircraft landing lights) or light up the ground right in front of you like a crime scene. There are some legit aux low sealed beams that usually aren't super hard to find on eBay, but they are old school and no longer in production. The number is 7701, and they were made by Westinghouse in the 1970's and 1980's. They're the same size as the round headlights for a four headlight system. Looking up "PAR 46 housing" will net you the mounting cups for them in metal or rubber.

You could try driving lights aimed lower, but you usually have to aim them so low to keep the glare out of oncoming drivers' eyes, that you pretty much end up right where you started. The relay kit will net you a decent improvement with what you've got now, and I'm thinking the Hella Vision Plus could help a bit more... and like you said, you'd have more choice in what bulbs go in them. There are some more and better H4 headlamps out there, like a set of Koito 200mm x 142mm lamps from Daniel Stern Lighting, but they're quite a bit outside of your specified price range at $179 a pair. I've done business with Stern before... and he's a straight shooter that knows his sh¡t. but those are well outside what I can afford at the moment.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've had some off road lights over the years. From the original KC daylighters with a pencil beam pattern and 150W bulbs (worthless unless you want to see a mile down the road directly in front of you). Had a tight pencil beam pattern. The light output was harsh. Would washout all color. No upper cutoff. Couldn't use on the street.
Typically my vehicles have had fairly decent high beams- so that wasn't the problem. It was something to help out on the low beam- and I wanted a wider beam pattern.
Had several "generic" square fog light style lights. They were junk- no real use to the light they put out.
I put some PIAA 520 SMR lights on my ZR2 (roughly 6" round light). These were a "fog light" pattern.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wanted the fog light pattern because I wanted a wide pattern to see deer along the side of the road, or to see curves better on unknown roads. They had a sharp cutoff pattern so I could run them (after properly aiming them) on the street. Also with the cutoff pattern it was good for fog. I didn't run them with yellow bulbs- just some fairly high Kelvin white bulbs (maybe 4,200K). Doesn't wash out colors as much and can see better detail on the road. The lights have removable "rock guards" on them. Here is a pic of my old truck with the guards removed.
They make a 510 series that is only 4" round. Some of their lights don't have clear lenses, instead they have glass diffusers (they work, but light isn't as focused).

full

PIAA has made a ton of lights over the years:
PIAA light index

Some of the studies say especially for more of a higher speed driving you do not want a whole lot of light right in front of your vehicle lighting up the road. This will hurt your night vision as you can start to "blind" your self with your own light. This is the answer to your last question you asked above "Question, why can't a driving light designed to supplement high beams, be used to supplement low beams, if aimed lower?" I like most of the german vehicles that have either blue, orange or red interior dash lighting. These colors don't ruin your night vision as much. And I keep dash lights turned down low.

As on odd fact my 2003 Silverado had a high beam indicator light that was so bright I could read a book by the light it put out. In doing research I found that you could have a dealer "reprogram" the voltage to the light to not make it so bright (it was a common issue). I had the dealer do that.

With the RIGID cube LED lights I have now I'm running two types. One is a tight 10 degree beam they call a "spot" beam. Sends light very far. I've found this isn't very useful at all unless I'm on the highway. And it is kinda wasted on my truck as the top speed I do is 60-65 typically. If it was on one of my other vehicles and I was around an area that had interstate speeds of 75-80 it would be more useful.
The second type of light is their 45 degree beam they call a "driving" beam. This is different than what other companies call a wide beam. I find it very useful, but there is no upper cutoff. It will light up tree branches above me. Can't use it on the street. It is horrible in the fog also. Reflects all the light back in your face.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I really appriciate all the info and experiance you both have shared with me.

I think for the moment anyway the plan with be to do the headlight conversions and see where I'm at, in other words if I'm happy at that point with the light hitting the road.

One of my biggest complaints right now is on the road at night, particularlly in the rain and we get our fair share of that, my headlights get lost. What I mean is I'll be able to see the lights of the other cars on the road, but mine just seem to disappear and yes they are aimed correctly. I also understand the point of having to much light.

My budget is pretty slim for aux lighting so I'll get the headlight conversion kit and see how I feel after that is done. If I'm still not happy I'll either try some flavor of fog or driving lights and see what happens from there and of course I'll let ya know how it goes.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
IMO, around here, and especially since you already have holes in your front bumper, I’d consider a nice retro looking set of amber fog lights. Can get hella ones for under $50. I still like how amber lights cut the fog. And they’d look bomber on your truck!
Beyond that, I haven’t spent enough time nor sorted through the plethora of cheap **** lights, although generally a $150 whatever of reputable known brand vs the $50 version on Scamazon is a good start.
If you’re willing to use them like high beams and turn off with oncoming traffic. Can’t beat a quality light bar imo.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I have 2 Diode Dynamics SS6 wide pattern as fogs. they have a good cutoff so I can run them anytime. I have them aimed to fill in to half the low beam focus on the road in front of the truck. they are low key when off (don't change the front look much) and are very bright when on.

Attachments

• 20210726_190719.jpg
    20210726_190719.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 136

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I really know very little about aux lighting. Sure I've done a lot with factory lighting, aiming lights stuff like that. But little about aux, though I'm now learning.
@Grit dog After last night I was thinking about what @Ellie Niner said about Aux low beam lighting. "There just isn't anything currently on the market that would be a good at reaching out a bit farther than regular low beams and lighting up the midrange without blinding oncoming traffic" Based on that I think me and Tory had a miscommunication. It's not the reach of the low beams that's a problem, they go out far enough, it's the amount of light. So I may very well be happy after installing the hella conversion and relay kit. If not I'll probably try a fog lights and see how I feel then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54