Headlight, driving lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for that. If your interested a short story....

Back in the 2000's I had an 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. At the time I did some work for band out of the bay area in California, and I live where I still live in Western Wa. So I don't fly, so I'd drive down. I was younger so I'd often leave after work and drive though the night, the Olds didn't have very good headlights so I ran Silverstars in it. And let me tell you they did improve the headlights. The problem was that the bulbs were expensive and the live was terrible. It was so bad I'd carry a spare pack with me. When that car was gone I stopped using them, when I found the Phillips extreme vision. I haven't done any sort of comparison from the silverstars to the Xvision, but I've had the Xvisions in the most of my other rigs and they last for years and years and give very good light. The only thing I don't like is there are no local retailers so I have to order them online.
a regular on buick forums is into classic v8 buicks and has a last gen riviera... anyway, hes kinda like a lot of us just his heart is on a 455 in a .. skylark.. maybe? I forget, anyway, he swears up and down for xenons. Ive read a lot of thread posts about how you dont need to get LEDs and blind people but throw those piece of junk standard halogens at the guy next to you because xenon is the way. they are usually local i think too. I should try some day.

Also strange my 1990 had great headlights. glass housing so they stayed not yellow.;

You must be registered for see images attach

some of that communist salt and a first owner who needed to wash the car in a car wash a little more often would have saved it too. garage kept, but the man was so frugal he audited receipts from the gas station for 3 things of food items for any errors lol.

I cant be too harsh, russel got to say he worked less years than he spent in retirement. RIP 193_-2015ish step great grand dad. thank you for the car that launched my learning experience and now sits in the way in the yard Lol

I would like to point out the rear seat is THE most comfortable seat in a car I have ever sat in.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Strut brace is all

on the subject of lighting, I am not many people on this but I actually very very very much value my surface of the sun lit interior of my park avenue

I have a unhealthy desire of illumination but the trunk one was by far long needed. The rope thing is a cheap LED rope that is meant to be put inside a headlight for a switch back turn/drive light the amber is just not connected.
The reason I bring up interior illumination is because if you have good lighting, and when you need to use it or look for things, your eyes spend way less time straining and you stay sharp and on top it better. I think eye strain is something I am more susceptible if even just in psychosomatic ways. Either way lol.

But Im like a moth for lights, but then for shiny objects Im a raccoon.

next topic is what happens when the light you put on the road comes back in force because some crazy person decided to get their entire car chromed because over time their obsession became a monster.

I mean, pfft thats stupid.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl My 88 delta 88 was super comfortable. I had cloth interior and discovered I could take the headrests of lay the seats back and push the tops against the backseat. Then I could lay on it at an angle and it was like a bed. Spent nights in rest stops like that many times when younger. I loved that car. When the trans was rebuilt it got a mild shift kit, and man that car would fly. I'd still have the car, but it just didn't fit my lifestyle later on. We had animals, dogs, the farm. Wife got a minivan I got a truck and Jeep. A few years of the Olds, sitting and I had to sell it. I just couldn't stand seeing it sitting. But yea... I counted in number of lights that came on when you opened the door. 4 dome light bulbs, 2 underdash, 2 on the rearview, two on each front door, one on each back door, one on each pillar in the back seat. That's 14 bulbs.... It did light up the interior very well but had to be careful of leaving a door open too long.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl My 88 delta 88 was super comfortable. I had cloth interior and discovered I could take the headrests of lay the seats back and push the tops against the backseat. Then I could lay on it at an angle and it was like a bed. Spent nights in rest stops like that many times when younger. I loved that car. When the trans was rebuilt it got a mild shift kit, and man that car would fly. I'd still have the car, but it just didn't fit my lifestyle later on. We had animals, dogs, the farm. Wife got a minivan I got a truck and Jeep. A few years of the Olds, sitting and I had to sell it. I just couldn't stand seeing it sitting. But yea... I counted in number of lights that came on when you opened the door. 4 dome light bulbs, 2 underdash, 2 on the rearview, two on each front door, one on each back door, one on each pillar in the back seat. That's 14 bulbs.... It did light up the interior very well but had to be careful of leaving a door open too long.
Oh mine had illiminated entry which may have been only gettable in 89, 90,91 of that gen, 88 98s prob did. Basically RKE button press, or door button, would illuminate the locks, the lights inside would come on "theater dimming"

And of course, not instant off on door closes and stuff actual helpful lighting before and after actions. Ahead of its time for a lot of stuff.
mine had less interior bulbs they got a little stringy in 90 for some reason the car "personality" was being changed
I dont have the rear amber turns like yours would have, I have a weird grey over red, all one sea of unspecific ness. weird stuff.I need to take the antenna off its from an 88 lesabre .the original mast antenna is laying in my shed.(Bad)
I need to take the seats... I found out that GM Seats at damn near universal if you have the right KIND OF seat and my driver and pass are 60/40 split Im pretty sure and so is my electra. but the olds has the Bucket Actual function my electra has a bench with wide short af head rests. lol and split.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That reminds me.. I need to go take the PS Pump(TC/type 2 pump) and the alternator (cs130) I may prefer the AD230 but that alternator is still shiny and its been in the elememtns and its only months old in 2016 when engine sorta fell a bit out of the car. Im not a monster I can put that to use in the fleet of things. rIGHT ears to .. wait.. maybe not.can always be made to!
The Type 2 pump is OEM and its needing a bearing and rebuild and pulley for sure but its perfectly fine prob just needs a new bearing seal kit and fresh up with a new pulley and bam its just like new. Cast iron tho
not cool alum like my aurora one

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl Yes the seat are near universal. For a short time I had Century seats in my 88 and the only weird thing was there was about an inch of space between the seats at the split. Basically enough for something to fall into lol. They were not as cushy seats as the 88 seats were though as they were the "pillow top" seats. Even though the material on my 88 seats was a bit worn I put them back in as they were more comfortable. Theater lighting... Ya it had that. Even a sunroof. The only options my 88 didn't have was leather and digital climate control, and no digital dash. Oh another memory... Truck rack. I bought a roof bag that I use to use to strap stuff to the luggage rack on trips sometimes. Fun memories thanks for bringing them back.....

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
This is the LMC relay kit with Halogen Sealed Beams. Much improved, and even on low beams I would get flashed by oncoming drivers. They are aimed correctly, but definitely much brighter than non-relayed headlights. My eyes are getting older, I am not...lol... and I don't like driving at night anymore. I think I will swap to the Hella's like you did, and have some fogs installed for the wider beam for twisty roads, slow speeds, rain, snow and fog. Post up some pics when you get the chance.

Attachments

• -0104-Headlights on Relays.jpg
    -0104-Headlights on Relays.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 104

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So I did get a 1/2 hour or so earlier in the day to finish up aiming them. One of my personal problems is that I will often get overly anal about that sort of thing. I think I've got it set pretty good. I think part of the problem is I remember the old days of using headlight aiming equipment and using a wall or in my case the shop door just seems like there is more margin for error needless to say I anally marked the wall backed it up 25 feet and then measured door to each front tire and jockeyed the rear end with the floor jack so I'm thinking it's as close to right on as reasonably possible.

They rush shipped another set of the hella +50 so I went ahead and put those in before finalizing the alignment, so I'll have those in there as well tonight.

I have the fog lights the hella 550's and would really really like to get those installed before I leave tonight as I have to drive a long up north and the return trip to the farm involves a good 5 mile stretch of slow curvy roads. Add to that it's raining like heck and is suppose to continue to do so for the night. It would be a good test for the full equipment, but I may not have the time after work for the install. We'll see I guess.

@DoubleDingo I will most definitely take some pictures, but probably not until I have the full setup on. Got notice the my relay kit has shipped from LMC, delivery ETA of next Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get to take pics before then. As for the swap to hella's if I'd of realized how much difference it would make I would have done it a few years ago.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
The relays are a definite must.

I read up on some other reviews, and this seems to be a good setup. Brighter, but not too bright. I like that, as I am not out to be a total d!ckhead and blind every person driving in the opposite direction, or the one I am driving behind.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Thanks for that. If your interested a short story....

Back in the 2000's I had an 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. At the time I did some work for band out of the bay area in California, and I live where I still live in Western Wa. So I don't fly, so I'd drive down. I was younger so I'd often leave after work and drive though the night, the Olds didn't have very good headlights so I ran Silverstars in it. And let me tell you they did improve the headlights. The problem was that the bulbs were expensive and the live was terrible. It was so bad I'd carry a spare pack with me. When that car was gone I stopped using them, when I found the Phillips extreme vision. I haven't done any sort of comparison from the silverstars to the Xvision, but I've had the Xvisions in the most of my other rigs and they last for years and years and give very good light. The only thing I don't like is there are no local retailers so I have to order them online.
Ahh... I actually haven't checked out any of the blue tinted bulbs for many years, so have only speculated on their actual performance for the last 15 years or so. The tinting is a subtractive process, so it always takes light away... how much it subtracts is down to how deeply the bulb envelope is tinted... but it's always much more than the yellow tint, as a halogen beam produces much more light in the red-orange-yellow (what blue glass filters out) range than it does in green-blue-violet (what yellow glass filters out). Being that they were outperforming stock bulbs, they must have been driving those pretty damn hard (hence the very sh¡tty life). Just out of curiosity, how long were you getting out of those Silvertars in the Olds? If you were able to get the same Silverstar bulb without the blue tint, you'd have been really impressed.

For whatever it's worth, I wouldn't go trying to scrape the blue coating off a halogen bulb, though I've heard of people successfully doing it before (though some bulbs actually have the glass itself tinted instead of a coating), but after having a (burned out with a partially melted envelope) 575 watt theater projector bulb explode in my face, I've been a lot more careful with halogen bulbs, which I later found out are pressurized to about 100psi. Had quartz glass shrapnel stuck in my forearm, and it also hit my forehead and one cheek... fortunately missed my eyeballs (I wear safety glasses now).

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ahh... I actually haven't checked out any of the blue tinted bulbs for many years, so have only speculated on their actual performance for the last 15 years or so. The tinting is a subtractive process, so it always takes light away... how much it subtracts is down to how deeply the bulb envelope is tinted... but it's always much more than the yellow tint, as a halogen beam produces much more light in the red-orange-yellow (what blue glass filters out) range than it does in green-blue-violet (what yellow glass filters out). Being that they were outperforming stock bulbs, they must have been driving those pretty damn hard (hence the very sh¡tty life). Just out of curiosity, how long were you getting out of those Silvertars in the Olds? If you were able to get the same Silverstar bulb without the blue tint, you'd have been really impressed.

For whatever it's worth, I wouldn't go trying to scrape the blue coating off a halogen bulb, though I've heard of people successfully doing it before (though some bulbs actually have the glass itself tinted instead of a coating), but after having a (burned out with a partially melted envelope) 575 watt theater projector bulb explode in my face, I've been a lot more careful with halogen bulbs, which I later found out are pressurized to about 100psi. Had quartz glass shrapnel stuck in my forearm, and it also hit my forehead and one cheek... fortunately missed my eyeballs (I wear safety glasses now).
The Silverstars were great for vision but ****** for bulb life. Hours... I really don't know but I couldn't get though a year. 6 - 9 months was probably the average life. I always assumed the gas was tinted, but I wouldn't try getting off any tinting. Even a little 1157 taillight bulb will make an impressive sound when dropped on concrete. Now I just run the brightest Phillips in everything, and I've been happy with that.

So tonight's report on the headlights. I got them adjusted properly earlier in the day but had a power outage at the farm so I had to run straight there after work, and then made my run north, which requires me driving that before mentioned curvy road both directions in the dark, in heavy rain. So no time for fog light install. I can firmly say the light is much, much better, but yes I can see the fogs being useful on the twists and turns at least. Also got the replacement +50 headlights from hella. My thoughts is they are fine. No tinted glass but seems to be a little whiter light than the regular bulbs. Probably won't buy them again, but I'll run them until they burn out.

@DoubleDingo I want to see better but not blind other drivers, I completely agree with that! One of the many reasons I didn't even consider LEDs. The hella kit has a much, much better light spread, and firm cut off line. Unlike the sealed beams we are use to where the bright part of the beam shines out and then whatever is left in the peripheral just blobs out everywhere the low beams on these hella lights with the H4 it's brighter where the headlights are aimed but there is almost like a hard cut off of light on the low beam so the light is nice and bright, and wider than the sealed beam, but does not go any higher than you aim them. That's the best way I can explain it. I'm also going to say pictures don't do it justice but here are some.

Above: This picture is taken in pretty heavy rain, heavy enough you can make out the beam of the lights a little bit, but plenty of it is hitting the road for good visibility.

Above: At the farm, the truck is facing down hill so you don't get the full spread of light but you can see the brightness well.

Below: head shot with the lights on

@77 K20 My headlight switch gets considerably hotter with 55W lows, vs the 35w seal beams, so for at least that reason I'll be happy to get the relay kit installed.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@SirRobyn0 That's looking good! Those are kicking out a lot more light to the sides than just about any sealed beam (those no longer made GE Nighthawks were the rare exception, probably just equaling these). Hella doesn't make their own bulbs... what they have is pretty good, but probably not worth going too far out of your way to obtain once these burn out. Whatever you're running will whiten up and brighten up more once they're getting full alternator voltage. Life will be shorter, but should be acceptable. If they don't last as long as you like, you can step back to standard brightness ones, but avoid long life headlight bulbs if you can.

My headlight switch gets a bit warm, too, but I think the wiring coming out of the dimmer switch gets warmer... mostly when I drive for long periods of time with the high beams on. I have 60 watts of low and 90 watts worth of high beams per side. I will be brewing up a decent relay harness here at some point, though I've been getting by with the stock wiring and just okay lights since most pavement is really sunbleached and it almost never rains here. I definitely coulda used more light out on the road when I was up in Montana, Washington, and Utah last summer.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't know what you had before as far as light distribution, but I know for sure this is an improvement. I am glad you started this thread, I now know which setup I am going with.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 That's looking good! Those are kicking out a lot more light to the sides than just about any sealed beam (those no longer made GE Nighthawks were the rare exception, probably just equaling these). Hella doesn't make their own bulbs... what they have is pretty good, but probably not worth going too far out of your way to obtain once these burn out. Whatever you're running will whiten up and brighten up more once they're getting full alternator voltage. Life will be shorter, but should be acceptable. If they don't last as long as you like, you can step back to standard brightness ones, but avoid long life headlight bulbs if you can.

My headlight switch gets a bit warm, too, but I think the wiring coming out of the dimmer switch gets warmer... mostly when I drive for long periods of time with the high beams on. I have 60 watts of low and 90 watts worth of high beams per side. I will be brewing up a decent relay harness here at some point, though I've been getting by with the stock wiring and just okay lights since most pavement is really sunbleached and it almost never rains here. I definitely coulda used more light out on the road when I was up in Montana, Washington, and Utah last summer.
About the Hella bulbs. The standard set that came in the housings were marked GE. The +50% were marked Hella. The Hella bulbs are available on Amazon and cost roughly half the cost of Phillip Xtra visions, which are also on amazon. So I guess we'll see how it goes, but I've been so happy with the X-visions in my other vehicles I'd probably be likely to go with those.
I don't know what you had before as far as light distribution, but I know for sure this is an improvement. I am glad you started this thread, I now know which setup I am going with.
Well I didn't take a before picture, but I was running Sylvania halogens, and I would describe them as very average for sealed beams. This is just so much better. Next week I'll take some high beam pics, I didn't think to do that last night. I'd really encourage you do this as it is just such a huge improvement. And if you do I hope you'll let me know what you think.

Now I gotta get the fogs on this weekend!

Next week I'll take pictures with and without the fogs on, and the highbeams. If the relay kit comes in then I'll take some with that too.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
......I'd really encourage you do this as it is just such a huge improvement. And if you do I hope you'll let me know what you think......
I will be getting it, but the truck won't be done any time soon. At least it already has the relays. I am considering rewiring all of that, though. I want to add a power distribution center, with the relays and fuses fro them all in one spot and in a sealed box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69