Stranded!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I agree, Derek. If the new battery has the right amount of cold cranking amps that thing shouldn't have dragged. If the evidence isn't obvious like frayed cables I would replace them anyway. I would also be verifying all the ground straps are good, and it's just too easy of a job to replace a starter than to just ride out the one you have.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
am I the only one concerned that it's dragging w/a brand new battery in it? Sounds like the begging of a starter failure or a bad ground somewhere.

I thought it might have been the starter too, but after I replaced the battery it started every time with no hesitation.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I was stopped at a light, and i heard a screeching like a loose belt, it shook a little, then died.

This to me sounds like there still may be a problem, like the alternator is dead or seized up, bad bearing in the alternator or something. I dont think you'll have it running long.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
I agree, Derek. If the new battery has the right amount of cold cranking amps that thing shouldn't have dragged. If the evidence isn't obvious like frayed cables I would replace them anyway. I would also be verifying all the ground straps are good, and it's just too easy of a job to replace a starter than to just ride out the one you have.

They battery cables are not in the best condition, i'll admit to that. I can see some exposed wiring and it's pretty gunked up.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Here's a quick picture, front left side of the engine where the belt is missing.
You must be registered for see images attach

The accessory on the lower left (A.I.R. pump? a/c compressor?) hasn't had a belt on it in some time, which is obvious by the pulley groove being rusty, not being nice and shiney like the others. My money is still on the alternator.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's scary hearing the dragging part and adding oil.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had to go back and read the history on this post because I'd forgotten why your truck was down in the first place. I agree that the starter wouldn't have caused it to put you down the way it did, but you could have had more than one problem. If a cell inside your battery actually fails (vs normal age deterioration) it can show normal voltage and run low power stuff like your dash lights and turn signals. However, when you go to start it, the battery can't deliver enough juice to turn the starter. It acts similar to when you have a loose battery terminal. My guess is your battery had a cell fault inside which killed the fuel supply to the TBI. If you've got a loose or worn belt, then can squeal when the motor is at extreme low RPM like when it's dying. Depending on how loud and long your squeal was, it may have been a normal slip instead of a shearing action like a pulley lockup. Hard to say without hearing it.

All that being said, assuming what I just said is right, a fresh battery would have got you up and going, as it did. That dragging is the only thing that doesn't fit my theory. UNLESS.......your starter is also failing and the combination of sitting at the shop and the drop in temps has made the symptom more obvious. My truck dragged starting for like 5 years. MOST of the times, I could fix it by replacing or tightening the bolt on battery terminals and/or a new battery. I just figured that was happening because the truck would sometimes sit for 2 months at a time without being started. After the last battery and terminal change though, it was still dragging some. Eventually, it wouldn't start sometimes w/out tapping on it. Once I heard the new starter spin over, I knew that starter should have been changed YEARS ago. If it doesn't squeal/put you down again, but randomly drags sometimes when you got to crank it, start checking grounds, terminals, and wires. If none of that fixes it, you probably need to drop a starter in it. Even if you're actively still trying to sell it, that makes it start easier, which implies it's in better mechanical condition, thus an easier sell. It's only like $50 investment + your time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I think I'd go ahead and do a starter amp draw test, and/or make sure it doesn't need another thin shim. Is this the one where you've replaced humpteen starters and it still didn't work??? Starter shouldn't be dragging if its a new starter and battery.

That's a damn beautiful truck !!! Hopefully you've decided to keep it. Great OEM condition for one that age.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
I had to go back and read the history on this post because I'd forgotten why your truck was down in the first place. I agree that the starter wouldn't have .......in it. Even if you're actively still trying to sell it, that makes it start easier, which implies it's in better mechanical condition, thus an easier sell. It's only like $50 investment + your time.

Thanks guys! I may go ahead and replace the starter just in case. I left it at the shop, but i'll be back there this weekend to drive it around a bit and see how it's running. I took it around the block and it sounded really strong, as it usually did. And the hesitation was only on the first crank, after that, started right up every time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like its all good to go then. :waytogo:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yeah, I'd probably leave it alone as well and just keep an eye on it if it only happened that one time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68