Stranded!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
That's the air pump down there, the a/c compressor is on the top right on this setup. Can you get a pic of the right side?

I had it towed to my brothers shop and i only snapped this picture. I looked for a belt tangled up somewhere and didn't see anything. This was the only thing I could spot that didn't look right.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you check all your electrical connections that were mentioned in here? After that I would loosen all those belts up and grab that big bottom pulley on the motor with a pair of gloves and try to turn it by hand. Make sure the key is off when you do that. And the truck is in park or neutral. You got an auto trans?

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
Did you check all your electrical connections that were mentioned in here? After that I would loosen all those belts up and grab that big bottom pulley on the motor with a pair of gloves and try to turn it by hand. Make sure the key is off when you do that. And the truck is in park or neutral. You got an auto trans?

I did, i tightened the battery cables and followed them and made sure the other end was tight as well. I haven't tried to move the pulley. It is an auto trans.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Loosen up the belts and/or take them off. (Green Arrows)

Then turn that big bottom pulley by hand or stick a pipe wrench on the lip of it to see if you can turn it, watch you don;t bugger up the pulley flange with the wrench, stick a rag around the teeth of the wrench you have too. (Red Arrows)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1319919572.jpg
    1319919572.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 179

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
****, I don;t see a belt for the A/C. :think: Just for the steering pump. BUt those hoses going over the alternator look like A/C lines, unless that is heater hoses?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Maybe that belt is rising up to the A/C pulley, hard to tell.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wonder if his ac switch is on and powering the clutch to engage when he tries to start it, unless the belt is thrown and it wouldn't make a difference unless it's wrapped up in there somewhere, usually a busted belt either flies clear to the ground or get's tangled up in the fan and radiator. Pics would make this a bit easier to help, like OLP said.

Unless the thrown belt got tangled up behind the balancer and timing cover wedging the motor tight, it should start up. Even if tangled in the fan, the clutch would allow the motor to turn over, although a good way to trash your fan clutch in a quick hurry.

And No, that belt missingon the air pump as you've pictured will NOT keep it from running at all. Very common for those pumps to seize and throw belts. Usually though, someone will take a belt off of those thinking they'll put the belt back on to pass smog, to find that from sitting wo a belt on it, its seizes from non use and that is even more common then seizeing with a belt on it. Always best to leave the belt on those AIR pumps if you have to pass smog. They only eat up about 2hp anyway.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
Maybe that belt is rising up to the A/C pulley, hard to tell.

I'm headed to the shop and i'll take some better pictures. Expect an upload in the next hour. Thanks so much for the input thus far!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
He's going to get some better pics for us, good luck. I will be heading out to the shop shortly to start on my truck.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Sounds like one of the accesories froze up. You got air conditioning?

:word: my 93s (C1500 and C2500) both did this to me, ironically, less than a mile apart (and 6 years apart). alternator siezed, killed the engine, and it wouldn't crank. pulled the belts off, and they both fired right up. replaced the alternators, and they were good to go.

the C2500 got the alternator replaced, but while i was at it i decided to cut the front suspension out of it... it hasn't seen the light of day since 2007. :lol:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Any updates Fuser?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I cant see anything wrong with the belts in that picture. I would take them totally off, then take all the pulleys, Alternator, Power steering pump, Water pump, A/C and see if you can spin them all freely. Also try to start the truck with all the belts off.

If it still doesnt crank then try turning the motor over by hand or by a breaker bar with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt (clockwise).
DO NOT put a pipe wrench on the pulley itself, if you put to much leverage on it you could very easilly bend the pulley, or egg shape it, which will cause a vibration, and also cause you to eat belts.

If you still cant turn the motor over by hand or with the break over bar. remove the rear driveshaft from the pinion yoke, then place the transmission gear selector in neutral and drive and try to turn the driveshaft.

Damn I hope its just a frozen pulley,

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you still cant turn the motor over by hand or with the break over bar. remove the rear driveshaft from the pinion yoke, then place the transmission gear selector in neutral and drive and try to turn the driveshaft.

WTF??? :think:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

he has a 700R4, it died on him at a stop. IF the lockup is ****** it WOULD STALL the motor, and would NOT allow you to turn the motor over by hand. Kind of like if the Transmission is Locked in 2 gears.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
True but.... hmmmmm,... Without the front pump running to compress clutch packs, to make the input shaft solid to the output shaft, the rear output shaft is going to turn whether the motor is seized or not, of even if the TC clutch is locked. It will turn the output shaft as long as the parking pawl isn't engaged in the rear sun gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jersagfast