Stranded!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That Ac compressor has a big pulley and a lot of belt wrap, it would definately shut a motor down at idle and keeping it from turning if it seized up. At speed I would imagine the belt would be thrown.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That Ac compressor has a big pulley and a lot of belt wrap, it would definately shut a motor down at idle and keeping it from turning if it seized up. At speed I would imagine the belt would be thrown.

Yep, all that would make sense of what you said, the screeching belt, the shaking cuz of motor stumble being bogged down then it died. And now its so tight, the starter isn't turning over. AC would be the first thing to check, air pump are notorious for seizing too, but the tiny belt isn't usually enough to keep it from turning over or kill the motor.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Seems everyone is giving you ideas to look for or to try, yet few are explaining why. Fellers IMO if you can explain to him why you are suggesting to try this or that it may very well help him out now AND in the future. Especially when he has mentioned that he is not very mechanically inclined.

When you hear a screeching it is "usually" a loose belt as Bucket suggested. If the belt was loos enough it could have very well flew off. If it did throw a belt and wrap around the Harmonic balancer (crank pulley) then it could very easilly stop the motor and keep it from restarting. If it does that it will try to start with a click or "jolt" of the starter.

Honestly if there is oil in the motor then I would be seriously looking at what Bucket has already suggested.

If that is not it. Time to Diagnose it. A little tip for you, ALWAYS start with the easiest things to check.

Battery cables for loose or corroded connection BOTH positive and Negative at the Battery AND the engine Block and the STARTER. If those all check out to be clean and tight. and the starter just "clicks" try tapping on the starter "SMARTLY" with a hammer while you have someone try to crank the truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A little tip for you, ALWAYS start with the easiest things to check.

Like if an accessory may have siezed up and/or if it possibly caused a belt to throw. :Jedi:

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
Like if an accessory may have siezed up and/or if it possibly caused a belt to throw. :Jedi:

Cometo think of it, it was cold outside so I turned the heater on, first time I had used it. As soon as I heard the screeching, I turned the heat and fan off, then it died. I also saw a pulley in the bottom left if you're facing the engine and another on the very front and it seemed Like there should be a belt there. Is this the alternator belt?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Facing the motor, the alternator should be upper right of the motor. Lower left will be power steering pump. Above the PS pump will be the AC compressor.

EDIT: Oops, my wrong right. So lets do this, upper passenger side is alternator, lower driver side is PS Pump, upper driver side is AC compessor.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Facing the motor, the alternator should be upper right of the motor. Lower left will be power steering pump. Above the PS pump will be the AC compressor.

EDIT: Oops, my wrong right. So lets do this, upper passenger side is alternator, lower driver side is PS Pump, upper driver side is AC compessor.

AIR pump is usually bottom pass. side.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Oh no. >sudu<

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh no. >sudu<

That's why its just easier to say pass side of driver side.

I've pretty much quit taking all my meds except this new Nexium so I'm not normal now. :shitsweak: Figured it would be a good idea to detox and see how I do. Lucky for me I guess I manage my medication well. No withdrawls in 2 days, so that's really saying something. Hurt like hell, but its just moderate dull acheing pain I can tolerate as long as I'm not doing anything.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
That's why its just easier to say pass side of driver side.

I've pretty much quit taking all my meds except this new Nexium so I'm not normal now. :shitsweak: Figured it would be a good idea to detox and see how I do. Lucky for me I guess I manage my medication well. No withdrawls in 2 days, so that's really saying something. Hurt like hell, but its just moderate dull acheing pain I can tolerate as long as I'm not doing anything.

Looks like its the ac belt that blew. Would that keep it from starting?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Looks like its the ac belt that blew. Would that keep it from starting?

if its all wrapped up on the front side of the motor it very well could. Take a picture of it for us.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
if its all wrapped up on the front side of the motor it very well could. Take a picture of it for us.

Yep, or the belt is pinched and wound up against the timing cover.

Does the AC compressor pulley move? Guess that doesn't mean much though. Cuz it would be the clutch that wouldnt move if its seized. You wuouldn't know that until you had power to the compressor.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wonder if his ac switch is on and powering the clutch to engage when he tries to start it, unless the belt is thrown and it wouldn't make a difference unless it's wrapped up in there somewhere, usually a busted belt either flies clear to the ground or get's tangled up in the fan and radiator. Pics would make this a bit easier to help, like OLP said.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
I wonder if his ac switch is on and powering the clutch to engage when he tries to start it, unless the belt is thrown and it wouldn't make a difference unless it's wrapped up in there somewhere, usually a busted belt either flies clear to the ground or get's tangled up in the fan and radiator. Pics would make this a bit easier to help, like OLP said.

Here's a quick picture, front left side of the engine where the belt is missing.
You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's the air pump down there, the a/c compressor is on the top right on this setup. Can you get a pic of the right side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast