stereo for 82 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
k10 silverado, k10 suburban
Engine Size
my 82 suburban was ordered from the factory with NO radio...i have the original window sticker and there is nothing anywhere about any type of audio...

at any rate...the hole is in the dash...with a blank off snapped in..the wires are there..but im sure the speakers wont keep up with what i want..

are kick pods about my only option as far as adding a little extra ass in the setup?

im not really interested in subs as i do take the truck offroad and im not liking the idea of extra things jumping around in the cab.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Bump.

Behind the blank plate is one plug...yellow gray and black wires.

Does this mean there are no factory installed speakers and wiring?

The holes are in the trim pieces and the metal behind it where the oem radio would be.

Any guidance would be great

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bump.

Behind the blank plate is one plug...yellow gray and black wires.

Does this mean there are no factory installed speakers and wiring?

The holes are in the trim pieces and the metal behind it where the oem radio would be.

Any guidance would be great

Right, there's no speakers or wiring.

A good friend used to have a '91 K5 with the factory radio delete. We put in a basic CD player and had to run all the wiring to the speakers. We put 3.5's up in the corners of the dash. We didn't know at the time there were supposed to be mounting brackets for them, but it worked fine. We also put 6x9's in some boxes in the rear. It's been so long, I don't really remember where we put them though, or if they were even screwed down. I do remember that you could crank that sucker and it sounded amazing.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Why in the hell would someone order a truck w a radio delete but w the silverado packages...

Then again it has manual windows too

I assume the holes in the dash for speakers are already there too...iirc there's 3 in the dash.. each corner and center...I don't like the idea of cutting the metal in the dash for an afternarket deck...I hate hate cutting on a truck..

I did car stereo for a few years part time during hs and early college...we'd use an under dash mounting box every now and then to hold an aftermarket deck...I may go that route...and just stick the delete blank back in

Last edited:

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
I installed a radio in my 82 K30 recently.... i hated cutting the dash also but with the new radio and the sounds on ya buddy it was worth it.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Mine was ordered w/out a radio also, but my dad immediately took to Circuit City and had them install a JVC cassette in the dash, some 6x9s in the rear cab corners, and what I think are 4" at the dash corners. Looking at the wiring, I'd say it was not wired for radio from GM. Apparently, at least in 87, the dash had slots cut in to let sound out, even if you don't get a radio. I had to change the stereo about 7 years ago, but the speakers are still in it. Only one of the 6x9s still plays though. LOL!

If you don't want the headache/expense of cutting your dash or building a console, there are some good options out there to fit the factory 2-knob location. They cost a little more, and you have to either run an ipod or cd changer. I think I'll be going that route when my Jensen decides to konk out. As for the subs, you can bolt them to the floor so they don't bounce around when you off-road.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine was ordered w/out a radio also, but my dad immediately took to Circuit City and had them install a JVC cassette in the dash, some 6x9s in the rear cab corners, and what I think are 4" at the dash corners. Looking at the wiring, I'd say it was not wired for radio from GM. Apparently, at least in 87, the dash had slots cut in to let sound out, even if you don't get a radio. I had to change the stereo about 7 years ago, but the speakers are still in it. Only one of the 6x9s still plays though. LOL!

If you don't want the headache/expense of cutting your dash or building a console, there are some good options out there to fit the factory 2-knob location. They cost a little more, and you have to either run an ipod or cd changer. I think I'll be going that route when my Jensen decides to konk out. As for the subs, you can bolt them to the floor so they don't bounce around when you off-road.

i looked into that.

i dont care about bass. just somethign other then the diesel clanking to hear while driving...

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Also the truck doesn't have a hole in the fender for the antenna...or were they located elsewhere?

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wonder if that was standard issue regardless of radio delete option or not? I would think id it was I would have an antenna plug under there somewhere. I guess I could always fab up an antenna mount of some sort

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Windshields without antennas were standard fare for trucks without a radio.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I think my fender hole was cut in as part of the first stereo install. It takes a standard $15 universal antenna from Autozone though. I was ordering from LMC or Classic Parts for $25/pop plus shipping til I found the one at AZ. The only bad thing is that those type don't go all the way down like a power antenna will. They get the job done tho.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
Im not drilling a hole in my fender...so it'll probably be mounted on a bracket of some sort

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I actually saw that tonight in my classic parts catalog that came on the mail tonight. Its cheaper at classic parts. It's a great idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04