Retrosound Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Glad you got it figured out, I really like the fit and functionality of the Retrosound system. I added a powered under seat subwoofer to mine, not as a boom boom, but to just fill in the lower frequencies
I was debating between an under seat and a box sub in the back. My spare tire is too large for the spot in the Suburban so I went with a powered box for convenience. It comes with a quick disconnect harness so I can easily remove it if I need more temporary cargo area. I am going to build a bracket for it that picks up the threads for the spare tire.

It gets delivered on Thursday so I hope to install it this weekend.

I just installed the Q-Logic kickpanels with Infinity Reference 6.5" components. They have made a huge difference up front. I was a little worried about the Q-logic kickpanels because there seem to be a lot of reviews that say the parking break will hit them. However, mine fit on top of the original kickpanels without issue. They took a little bit of time and effort to get properly placed and to line up the screws through the new kickpanels, the original kickpanels, and find the hole in the sheetmetal, but, I was able to get a nice clean install.

My dash is still all apart and I have wires running everywhere as I am still finishing up the install and waiting for the sub. I am also wiring in the LMC window relays and I want to fix the speedo ratio while I have everything apart. When I get the inside all put back together I will post some photos. I think when it's all said and done it will be a nice combo of some modern amenities (kickpanels, bluetooth head unit, carplay/backup camera screen, wireless charging cellphone mount) but retaining the majority of the classic interior look and feel. Everything I have added is also easily removeable and didn't require any major modifications or drilling.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Awesome. I am following this as I too am very interested in a similar solution. I am leary of Chinese crap but choices are sometimes limited and quaility can be hit or miss. Gentex makes some quality (OEM) rearview moirrors with some of these functions but they get pricey quick but I would still consider one. I really need the back up camera feature as my mirror projects the reflections off the inside of the rear window. It's basically useless other than the compass, temp gauge and auto-dimming feature. PLEASE post pics and give us your feedback on your new toy.
I'm gonna try and make a video this weekend of the Carpuride setup. I finally finished installing the kickpanels, headunit, and sub this week. Overall I am happy with everything. However, the Retrosound is still giving me a little headache. The new headunit that was sent under warranty fixed the high pitch annoying squeal from the amp. However, now I am getting a low volume static on all speakers. I think it is the noise floor. If I turn up the speakers loud enough it goes away, but when the music is very low or there is a pause in the song, I can hear the low static. I know that can be a result of the gain being too high on the amp, but I am hearing this on the 4 speakers that are running directly off the head unit as well as the ones on the amp. I am debating ordering another Retrosound from Crutchfield along with the Kenwood Exceleron and see if either of those has a similar issue. Then just returning whatever I don't decide to keep.

Attachments

• 72007323574__4E7F5AB5-FA1B-4373-8931-9C6373D7B04A.jpg
    72007323574__4E7F5AB5-FA1B-4373-8931-9C6373D7B04A.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 25

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
@SquareRoot

That link should work and take you to a video of me showing the Carpuride monitor. If it doesn’t work let me know.

A few things I forgot to mention. It works with polarized sunglasses and I have it wired so that it automatically switches to the rear view camera when you put it in reverse.

I haven’t driven for extended periods of time yet, so I can’t speak to its reliability, but so far it seems responsive and solid.

Any questions or anything else you want me to video on it, let me know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe