Steering wheel position changes position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
A couple weeks ago I put in a new steering gear box, put the pitman arm and drag link together, took it for a spin, adjusted the drag link so my steering wheel was centered, all was good. Then all of a sudden a couple weeks later, I'm driving around normally, and my steering wheel is off center about 15 degrees. I keep driving around for a while, and my steering wheel return back to the center position. I assumed it was the drag link adjuster that slipped a thread, and it check out fine. I also looked at the leaf spring pins and they are in tact, thought maybe the spring was slipping in the perch. I can't seem to find out why this is happening.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It sounds like a splined joint is jumping one tooth. Probably not the steering wheel to column shaft. Check the coupling between the rag joint and the steering gear input shaft:

You must be registered for see images attach

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
It sounds like a splined joint is jumping one tooth. Probably not the steering wheel to column shaft. Check the coupling between the rag joint and the steering gear input shaft:

I think you nailed it Chengny, I while back I put on a jeep shaft on, to replace the rag joint. After I read what you wrote, I went and checked it out. I must have over tightened the bolt that clamps that side of the shaft together on the gear box. I stripped the threads. I'm gonna get a longer grade 8 bolt, and put a small nylon locking nut on the other end, and clamp it down good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub