STEERING SHAFT wont come off column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its been at least 10 years since I last had to remove a steering shaft in one of these old squares.

I took the bolt out at the top of the shaft and it wont budge at all. Is there a plastic pin or something in there by any chance?

Anybody have this problem before?

Any suggestions on how to remove it with out damaging the column?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
It might have a little rust, dirt holding it in there. Mine was the same way, I just tapped on it all the way around, loosened things up a bit, then it should just pull out. Remember to remove the end off the steering gear first.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks Val.

I finally got it off but there was not enough room to remove it without pulling the steering gear. I even tried lifting up one side of the cab, but it still wasn't enough.

I got so pissed at it that I melted the plastic retainers on the shaft so I can remove it easier in the future. Not sure what im gonna do with it. I ended up punching a hole in my rubber boot trying to get the retainer spring back in place. All I really wanted to do was change my rag joint:whymewhyme:

Cant find a replacement boot so its either the junk yard or the jeep shaft, but im to lazy to hunt one of those down!

Oh well as long as my shaft doesn't fall out I guess ill be ok for now. Was thinking of just using a cotter key or some bailing wire to keep the shaft put.
Or threading in some set screws. I dunno what I want to do.

I can tell you though its about the first time I ever got pissed at my old square!:sorry:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I replaced my rag joint awhile back and didn't have to take the whole shaft off. Just took it off the steering gear. But it telescoped a little bit I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I replaced my rag joint awhile back and didn't have to take the whole shaft off. Just took it off the steering gear. But it telescoped a little bit I guess.

your plastic retainers must have been removed or broken at some point. I first drilled them out, and no dice. That shaft was still not gonna move. So much for it being a collapsible steering shaft. If I had plowed into something with my truck that shaft would have killed me well before it collapsed!

At least it wont impale me now lol

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now that I think of it, I bet they did that when they put the body lift on.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
3" body lift would probably give you room I could only jack mine up about 2 inches

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17