Steering gear rebuild - FAIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Hmmm, it took me a couple of tries to get the balls correct. I turned the worm too far once or twice and lost a few in the case - start over. If there's any doubt that you don't have all the balls in the worm or recirculating tube I'd probably want to take it all apart to be sure. I had no idea how those balls work until I took it apart and saw how they operate.

I'd start with this video - this guy's style entertained me, but it seems like most of his advice and methods are pretty good. Worked well for me. It's a time investment to watch, this is only part 1, but I don't think you could condense the rebuild of a saginaw box down to five minutes and have it be worth anything.
Alright, so that answers my question. It is possible to lose ball bearings if the worm shaft is pulled out. I'll at least make sure I get the dowel pin on the stub shaft lined up. And see if I can get it together right. I did have an o-ring in a couple pieces, I believe it's the worm gear o-ring. So it's time for a rebuild anyways.

I watch hour long videos often, just didn't think it would be that involved. And I did it incorrectly, had I not pulled out the stub shaft and worm shaft on accident, my seal replacement went just fine.

Thanks for the reply!

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I deeply sympathize. I had powersteering issues with leaks all the time, had to reseal the entire pump and then JUST the output seal on the gear. thank god it was only that. power to you for taking the time and effort to rebuild yours

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If I remember correctly, first should turn back and forth with engine not running. But generally never had issues with just running and turning the wheels following by a short trip. Back when I first bought a reman from autozone, it blew out on the first long trip and killed the power steering pump. I checked the second one my self before putting it in

That's correct, first without the engine running.
and also good to note that if you're trying to bleed a box that has not been torn down, if it has any old transmission oil in it will never bleed. The tranny oil cavitates into froth. You can add tranny oil to your hydro oil after the system is bled... but best imo to just stick with the proper oil.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alright, so that answers my question. It is possible to lose ball bearings if the worm shaft is pulled out. I'll at least make sure I get the dowel pin on the stub shaft lined up. And see if I can get it together right. I did have an o-ring in a couple pieces, I believe it's the worm gear o-ring. So it's time for a rebuild anyways.

I watch hour long videos often, just didn't think it would be that involved. And I did it incorrectly, had I not pulled out the stub shaft and worm shaft on accident, my seal replacement went just fine.

Thanks for the reply!
IIRC those ball bearings are 2 (slightly) different sizes - gotta go every other one when reinstalling....?! This is something I need to do as well - my box isn't worn out, just leaking anyplace it can and I dont have the $$$ (or need) to buy a reman.

This video wasn't bad either -

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think so. I haven't driven it much over the summer since I've been doing a pretty major update to the tune (upgraded to a later model PCM). Doesn't seem to be leaking at the box at least. But.....

Now I'm leaking bad at the pump. I thought it was the pressure hose, but I replaced that and still leaking from that area. I'm trying to decide if should just replace the pump or buy a unit with the reservoir included? Does anyone know if the reservoirs themselves go bad, or is it usually just the pump that leaks?
I'm a little late responding to this but, if you haven't replaced your pump yet, just rebuild it yourself. If you can rebuild a steering gearbox, this will be a piece of cake for you. Rock Auto has a good rebuild kit, and you don't need any special tools. Just one seal and a bunch of o-rings.
You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
IIRC those ball bearings are 2 (slightly) different sizes - gotta go every other one when reinstalling....?! This is something I need to do as well - my box isn't worn out, just leaking anyplace it can and I dont have the $$$ (or need) to buy a reman.

That's the video I watched. I enjoyed bleepin jeep before, then I saw he had a video on one. All I've heard are horror stories with the remanufactured boxes, so until I have money to put a psc on or equivalent, I'll just rebuild em lol

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e

Yikes, I hope they weren't different sizes. If they are, it's definitely not obvious. I don't have a lot of miles on the rebuild yet, but steering is good for now and haven't noticed any ill-effects.
I'm a little late responding to this but, if you haven't replaced your pump yet, just rebuild it yourself. If you can rebuild a steering gearbox, this will be a piece of cake for you. Rock Auto has a good rebuild kit, and you don't need any special tools. Just one seal and a bunch of o-rings.
You must be registered for see images attach
Dang, I should have tried rebuilding! I was a little worried it was the reservoir itself that was leaking cause I could not see any obvious leaking from the main seal. Oh well, new pump is installed, bled, driven on several test drives, and - best - no P/S fluid on the floor under the pump!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD