Steering gear box replacement or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhett Croley

Reaction score
First Name
Rhett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If you have the budget I'd look into the cross-over steering setup. I first put it on my K5 before the Dana 60 swap and have been so spoiled by how it steered and drove that I put it on each of my sons trucks, K10s. They all drive like big Cadillacs. One of my best upgrades to the truck, imho. Its a little more to do the 10 bolt but I think you can do a D60 for @$400 and that's with the cost of a new 2wd steering box. I'd get one with the straight steering link instead of the offset ORD kit next time if I had it to do all over. There are some good kits on ebay

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you have the budget I'd look into the cross-over steering setup. I first put it on my K5 before the Dana 60 swap and have been so spoiled by how it steered and drove that I put it on each of my sons trucks, K10s. They all drive like big Cadillacs. One of my best upgrades to the truck, imho. Its a little more to do the 10 bolt but I think you can do a D60 for @$400 and that's with the cost of a new 2wd steering box. I'd get one with the straight steering link instead of the offset ORD kit next time if I had it to do all over. There are some good kits on ebay
What is this that you are talking about?

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Does the crossover steering work with lifts under 4" ? I have a 2" front lift that actually sits 3" over stock but may sag back to 2"?
Would you still recommend crossover?
Thanks

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I would guess that most wear occurs in the middle and not on the ends of the steering range, is there any danger of not being able to reach full lock to lock after this?

Your guess would be correct. What can happen when a steering gear set has a lot of wear and readjusted to remove some of the play, when turned to full lock, the steering will not self center.

The advise given to just move the adjuster a small amount, then road test is a good plan.

With a proper overhaul, a gear set with visible wear, should be replaced with new parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76