Steering column swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys I have a 82 k10 that I’m working on restoring. I picked up a late model tilt column with the multi function switch and I’m wondering if I can either convert my truck to use the multi function switch or convert the switch to look more similar to the old column. My truck didn’t have delay wipers and it would be nice to have them. Or would I be better off to try and get my hands on a tilt column with the correct switch. Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks, Hunter

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I swapped in a column from a later truck and converted the wipers to the later style. I don’t recall any wiring changes under the dash, there were some differences under the hood. Specifically, the washer pump uses an electric motor. The early trucks are mechanical.

it’s easy to add later electronic cruise control. It all plugs in, assuming your truck has the speed sensor on the rear of the speedo head. The later cruise adds the resume feature, and the ability to increase and decrease the set speed by either pressing the accelerator/decel button.

The only other change is the dash bezel. I bought a bezel from someone on this forum that didn’t have the wiper switch in the dash. Hope that helps

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I swapped in a column from a later truck and converted the wipers to the later style. I don’t recall any wiring changes under the dash, there were some differences under the hood. Specifically, the washer pump uses an electric motor. The early trucks are mechanical.

it’s easy to add later electronic cruise control. It all plugs in, assuming your truck has the speed sensor on the rear of the speedo head. The later cruise adds the resume feature, and the ability to increase and decrease the set speed by either pressing the accelerator/decel button.

The only other change is the dash bezel. I bought a bezel from someone on this forum that didn’t have the wiper switch in the dash. Hope that helps

Gotta chime in.

Earlier ones could ( can ) increase speed and decrease speed from the button. but resume was not an option.

I say - Eff it !

My turn signal switch looks like a turn signal switch.

:D

Anyhoo, wanted to clarify - carry on.

:waytogo:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Hmm, I have slept since I made the conversion, I thought the turn signal switch just had a set button on the end.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hmm, I have slept since I made the conversion, I thought the turn signal switch just had a set button on the end.

It does, but it multi functions.

No resume, though.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck doesn’t have cruise so I was just going to add an aftermarket kit like Dakota Digital. Didn’t check if the column I got has cruise or not. I was mostly concerned with figuring out the wipers and dimmer. I like having a floor mounted dimmer so I’d like to keep that but I’ve heard the dash mounted wipers like I have aren’t the best either. Is there anything I need to make the column wiper switch work and keep the floor dimmer?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First, to the OP, define "late model."

I rebuilt am 85 manual non-tilt column and swapped it into my auto column.

I upgraded the stalk ( multifunction switch)a added a AC Delco delay module. Piece of **** never worked right. No delay, only low and high?

As for cruise control, I have Dakota Digital guages. I would only consider DD cruise control. So much simpler and reliable than 50 year old OEM junk. But I also have Edelbrock Pro-Flo efi. Easy peasy.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First, to the OP, define "late model."

I rebuilt am 85 manual non-tilt column and swapped it into my auto column.

I upgraded the stalk ( multifunction switch)a added a AC Delco delay module. Piece of **** never worked right. No delay, only low and high?

As for cruise control, I have Dakota Digital guages. I would only consider DD cruise control. So much simpler and reliable than 50 year old OEM junk. But I also have Edelbrock Pro-Flo efi. Easy peasy.
I believe the column is a 84+. I’m dropping in a 5.3 ls so the Dakota kit will probably be pretty easy. I also want to get Dakota gauges eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood